Getting better Getting better Getting better Getting better
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting better

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting better

Well its nice to be netting fish again.. Where not their yet but its getting better... Trolled east of ballast island this weekend. Marks everywhere.. Best lead was 38 foot back on a 50 jet with a scopion spoon.. Others around me where catching them on near the surface. 40 jets back 65,45,30,25,15 with scorpion spoons.. All the fish were nice and fat and healthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Was wondering if anyone casting are doing any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile western end casting

Heard reports of limits 9 miles out of turtle, casting, uncomfired
    reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Give em Contrast....

For the casters and trollers, you got to put the walleyes in a position to spot 'contrasting' silhouettes. During our last trip, while everyone was trolling and running deep with large cranks, we fished in the upper column of water. Using dark colored crankbaits (casting or trolling) in the top 10 foot of the water column, we felt like most the walleyes could do a better job of spotting the baits against the light of the sky, find it and strike it. Sounds quirky I know but we did very well when everyone else had difficulty. In the evening, we actually threw surface baits (1-3 ft) on top of the reefs and just clocked them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Central Basin, Huron

Capt. Jim: I sent you an Email a few weeks back that I would be posting on the fishing in the Huron area. As the walleye start moving to the east as the water warms up and the bait fish move, it should be a good year this way. Problem is that we have had a lot of high winds and heavy rains. The waters have remained very muddy due to the over-flowing rivers in this area. I have heard of no reports other than a few perch.

For those that want to fish this area in June through November, we have a new State boat launch which is free. There is plenty of room to tie up your boats and there are deep launching ramps, and plenty of parking. There are no fish cleaning stations as yet.

There is a great place to get fishing info at the drive through bait store. Bill the owner is an avid fisherman for many years in this area, and can give you a daily update. He is always well supplied with shiners , worms, and your favorite trolling and harness needs as well as beer, snacks, and sandwiches.

He is located at 910 Main St. in Huron. One half mile North of Rt.2, on Rt.13.
    It is only 1/4 mile to the boat ramp. If your lucky enough to get there by 6: am you might run in to Dick Haley who has his gun shop on the North West corner of main St. and Rt. 6, he has fished this area all of his life and he is old. Good Luck Fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Capt. Jim

I have large and small michigan stingers. Should I be using the small or large spoons? Also, is it worth purchasing scorpion spoons instead of using Michigan Stingers? I was also using a 6 ft mono leader behind my jets to a swivel that I attach the spoon too. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Seajanerun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jets

I was in the group out by west sisters and saw lots of eyes being netted with jets. My worms were just drowning and had no walleye teeth marks in them.. saving them for next week!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are three sizes of the michigan soons the magnum(biggest) , stinger(middle), scorpion(smallest). The smaller spoons you have are robally michgan scopions that what I am using..You cant use the big ones yet because they neexd to trolled to fast for this time of year.. or should i say this years cold water.. 6 foot leader is what I run.. I hope I answered your question

Post Thanks / Like

sorry fo all typos having major problems with phone since I dropped it in the bildge

Post Thanks / Like

Default western basin walleye bite.........

I was on the big water last weekend and to my suprise i was the only boat by the turn around bouy, most were over closer to west sister trolling...at any rate I was trolling yecks new spoon (party girl) 90 back on a 40 jet had my limit in less than hour...and lost several nice fish all were fat and sassy...hope this may help as Im going again there this weekend....good luck to you all and please have a safe HOLIDAY......capt charlie ERIE FEELING...