Kayak Fishing Lake Erie Kayak Fishing Lake Erie Kayak Fishing Lake Erie Kayak Fishing Lake Erie
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default opinions(beer)

Here we go already....guys now.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really???

As most of us at one time or another have been cought in a storm on the lake... Theirs not a chance in hell I'd be in one of those things..Especially out by Wild Wings...I could see on a nice summer day taking a ride out by Bay Point or something but NO WAY on the big lake not to mention the Cold water... If you want to be on the local news give to charity not for something as stupid as that...What's next fishing in one of those tube things??

Post Thanks / Like

Dedliest US coastline is between Toledo, Ohio and Erie, PA.

Post Thanks / Like

Default deadly coastline

Here are the latest statistics for 2009 back thru 1999 released by the USCG in July 2010 for all reported boating accidents. It is contained in PDF files and seperated by year! You be the judge about which coast is more deadly! There is a break down of State by State accidents in each PDF file that you will have to look for and there is also a break down of vessel type (kayak is included) that will be found on a different page of the PDF file.

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...tatistics.aspx

Here is another link with more information.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraf...6/default.aspx
    Last edited by wakina; 03-16-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add a link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FWT View Post
    Kayak fishing is a fast growing segment of the fishing industry. Has anyone tried jig fishing For walleye from a kayak? By kayak, I'm referring to a 13 ft Ocean Kayak Trident, made to fish offshore in rough seas. Mine has a Humminbird 385ci sonar/gps. I'm also going to fish from it this summer further out but with the help of a 33ft tender boat. Has anyone ever tried that on Erie?
    Just my opinion

I use to think the guys in the 12ft rowboats out there were crazy but this idea tops it all......... Have you ever watched these guys in these rowboats when theres 200 boats plus out in front of turtle creek running around full blast, and the rowboats disappear in the trough of the waves........... i think your asking for nothing but trouble........... PM me if you need to get out and fish

Post Thanks / Like

I think the bottom line to your question is your kayak is probably safe if you're skilled for rough water, like on the ocean but your problem on Erie as pointed out in the last post is the number of boats and traffic that won't see you a couple of feet above the water. How many boats would be moving around you on the ocean. Spring jig is crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

How would the boating laws and right of ways apply to a motoring boat as opposed to a kayak? If you drift over a kayak during jig season are you at fault? Seems like it would be wise to ban this concept on the Great Lakes for the safety of the kayaks. I mean nothing personal to kayak's but in regard to safety. Or at least impose a certain distance from shore reg just like with wakes that could keep them safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confessions of a yaker

Kayak fishing is a unique and exciting experience and I would recommend it to anyone. A few years ago, I bought a fishing kayak and have enjoyed many fish catching hours on Lake Erie. However, just like anything else, responsible fishermen should know their limits and operate within them regardless of the vessel. For me, I am not near experienced enough to brave the cold water temps, rough water and boat traffic of the jig bite. But, I am sure there are yak fishermen who have the equipment, experience and knowledge to attempt such a feat. My Lake Erie kayak fishing destination is on the east side of Pelee Island. I can go out a couple hundred yards most days and be within range of big smallies and decent walleye, and during most trips, I can count on one hand the number of other boaters out on the east side. I also did a lot of research and found a kayak that is Lake Erie appropriate.

So I guess my point is that we all have the right to access Lake Erie in whatever mode we find enjoyable, safe, and practical; however, we all must also act responsibly when exercising those rights. Just because we have the right to do something doesn't always mean it is the right thing to do.

Stay safe and enjoy the jig bite. For me, I will be enjoying it from the safety and comfort of my 18' Starcraft! Can't wait!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[ Seems like it would be wise to ban this concept on the Great Lakes for the safety of the kayaks.
    WHAT ??? Why do some people think the government needs to step in all the time. We should be responsable for ourselves and are own actions. The guy just wants to go fishing in a small boat !!! I say go for it !!....to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
    Just a personal thing but I think beer has no place on a boat. Have you ever seen anyone cut in half by a prop when the boat operator was so drunk they didn't even know they hit the other boat. Not a good sight.
    It was a joke.. not much room for anything in a kayak. Yes I have seen someone diced up by a prop before, not good. I'm with jig, I don't drink on my boat either but have no problem with anyone else doing it , I just choose to wait till we get in.