change in fish limits? change in fish limits? change in fish limits? change in fish limits?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default change in fish limits?

Anyone know of fish limit changes for 2011?

I was browsing and found the following:

Over the weekend i heard a rumor of new limits on lake erie for michigan waters. Possibly as low as two fish per person per day. So i called and talked to a fisheries Biologist in lansing today. What i was told is michigan is going to a new quota system like ohio and canada and joining a council to protect the declining walleye population. The way it works is based on the amount of real estate involved with a table the council as come up with. Of course michigan has so little water in our area we are at the bottom of the numbers. So this equates to the limit being changd by all three involved in the council every year. Ohio will typically be able to take more fish due to owning more of lake erie. It is based on numbers caught the previos year and this table that will set the limit for the next season. He also said with the decline in walleye popultion that the 5 fish per day will be decreased just not sure what it will be till the numbers come in. I was told to watch for news briefs before season opens as the fish regulations are prited in feburary, and the numbers dont come in till the end of march and limits set the beginning in early april. My question then was how much of a reduction in the creel limit and was told he wasn't sure till the numbers come in, it could be 5 but probably 4 and no less than 2. the minimum creel will be two fish per day per person. I askd about stocking and he said that lake erie is an all reprodution fishery and no plans on doing any stocking. That the fishery runs in cycles and it could turn around agian hopefully in the next few years but we will see reduced creel limits till it does turn around.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, There is a captains confrence on Saturday March 5th. The odnr will go over hatch rates and catch rates for 2010. They will also hint toward limits changes. But nothing will be official till May 1st. After the confrence I will post what was said by the Odnr. I have a friend in the odnr and he told me last year the limits changes in mid march. so it wont be long and we will know.
    Good luck... on your trip in april. sounds like Capt Todd came highly rated..