Lookin for a little help Lookin for a little help Lookin for a little help Lookin for a little help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rusty Guest

Question Lookin for a little help

As a kid we fished out of Turtle Creek, basically around Davis Besse, W. Sister, A, B cans etc. Now, after being away for more than 10 years I happily own a fishing boat again but am docking at Catawba - Gem Beach area. Fished Saturday at the Starve Is reefs and never saw a hit - even though there were charters all around me.
    QUESTIONS:

First, are there areas I can fish in the general vicinity of Catawba/S. Bass that people are getting results or do I need to buck up and run west to Niagara Reef and further West to other reefs? Second, I guess I was never in the water early enough to jig - I'm gathering a 1/2 to 5/8 oz jig head with minnows? It's been over 10 years since I've had the joy of a walleye hit and it's killing me. Heading out again sat and I've gathered it needs to be early am?

Sorry for long post, first post and just anxiously looking for any help I can get.

THANKS!

fbcoachfisherman Guest

Any reef will hold walleye this time of the year. Even the small ignored reefs. Fishing last weekend was very hit and miss. Some crushed them, some did poorly. It was an early bite too. It really just depended. Niagra is not horribly far from Catawba is it? I remember as the spawn got later last year people were jigging right out in the little bay area at Catawba, so keep jigging, you'll get into them.

Yes 1/2 or 5/8, usually use 5/8 if it isn't rough, if it is 3/4. Big key it seems that people are getting them on Purple, and Butterscotch. Green too. But, Purple is the main choice. Yes, tipped with a big minnow with a stinger hook. Some vertical jig, some cast and jig back. Just depends. I normally vertical jig. This weekends bite was a lighter bite. Not committing suicide for everyone yet, but close. It seems the best jigging is just at sunrise until 9 or so. Have fun, it will all come back to you. Hiway Don should have some info for reefs in your area or check your hot spots map too.
    Last edited by fbcoachfisherman; 04-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.