Walleye Walleye Walleye Walleye
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye

Coming up this weekend with relatives who have never caught a walleye and would appreciate any suggestions. Have a 23' Mako and are set up for trolling. Boat is on a trailer at Lakeside. Thanks

Jefferson Guest

Your best bet is probably to head east. Either toward Huron, OH or even further...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safe Journeys

Rumor has it that the water temps in the Western Basin is running the low 80's and the walleyes have headed toward cooler Canadien waters. I'm coming in for the second half of my bi-annual trip and I'm wondering how many miles would I need to venture out (from Wild Wings boat launch) to find at least a few walleyes? Five miles? Seven miles? I'm running a 22 foot Deep V Crestliner boat so I think that I'm okay up five footers or so.

If you have a moment, would appreciate a response. I'm a caster by nature and would prefer to fish with countdowns or weapons. It's a sore arm I know but nothing replaces a walleye bite being telegraphed through a fishing rod!

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Well your best bet for casting for walleye. Are as follows.. west reef or kelly island shoul. anchor in 11 foot of water and cast some type of floating stickbait on a slow retrieve from 7pm to midnight. Most fish will be caught right at dusk. They wont be huge fish but they fill a cooler. I have had very good luck the last three weeks with this method.. be careful on the water at night. thanks Capt Jim. jandjfishingcharters.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye

Thanks for the heads up Jefferson.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eyes Wide Open

Skipper9,

Roger that on keeping the eyes peeled at night. I have all the tools for night fishing in addition to a close relationship with NOAA! Erie is to be respected during the day yet alone at night. Strict rules, full gear and life vest at all times (no exceptions).

I'm still fascinated by the rouge wave that comes out of nowhere and nearly swamps the boat. Regarding the reefs near Kelley, I will definitely give it a try when we arrive and report on the results.

Thanks