Millitary zone? Millitary zone? Millitary zone? Millitary zone?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Millitary zone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Millitary zone?

I noticed that a lot of the reefs are in the military target zone. I'm not a local and in June I'm coming to Erie for only my second time. How do you know when they are doing targeting? Do they have coast guard out there to let you know? Is there a site I can go to to find out? I have a ship to shore hand held radio, is there a channel I should listen to? Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Millitary zone?

I only go up three or four times a year and last year I went in the area and a boat came out with a large orange flag on it and ask me to move. They do broadcast it on the radio so you will know. Also if it is open there will always be boats in that area. That is my take on it but I am sure the locals know more than I do. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

If you see a strobe light activated on shore by Camp Perry (which is by the two windmills on that shore), call the Camp Perry Safety Officer on channel 16. He will direct you to another channel to communicate on, since 16 is to be kept clear of chatter (USCG channel).
    The Safety Officer will tell you which range is being used that day...."inside range" made up of little white buoys, or "outside range", which is made up of the big cans....A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, and L.

If you happen to go in before 8am, and they plan on firing....a big white boat, with an orange flag will run up on you, and tell you that firing will begin, and you have to leave the area....don't even bother arguing with them. Just go find some other fish outside the area.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

When they are doing “live fire” exercises they will announce hourly on 16 with the duration of the restriction.

Post Thanks / Like

k thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [FONT=Verdana
    ....don't even bother arguing with them. Just go find some other fish outside the area. [/FONT]
    We got run off the range last year and we NOT EVEN IN IT.. Our GPS clearly put us outside the firing range and we just kept on trolling.
    The guy in the big white boat with the orange flag was clueless.
    Hooked on Fishin
    252 Sportcraft
    Yamaha 8hp Kicker