What gives? 5/2/09 What gives? 5/2/09 What gives? 5/2/09 What gives? 5/2/09
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What gives? 5/2/09

Went out this morning and started fishing by 7:30 am. Fished purple hair and chartruse and green hair jigs for 6hours and didn't catch a single walleye. Especially bad since the wife made the trip with me. We were about 1 1/2 miles out of wild wing's and moved West to the beach area tried 12' to 16' depth range. We tipped with large shinners.
    We did see a few nets go down but no luck for us. I tried jigging at full drift speed and then slowed it down with a couple of 5 gal. buckets. I don't do the big jerking I see some people doing, I just let the jig tap the bottom and lift steady a couple feet to feel the elusive bite. I have made some good post in the past on successful trips fishing harnesses or weapons, even trolling spoons. I just can't seem to figure out how to jig successfully. Same thing last year at this time SKUNKED! I really need some good advice from you jig fisherman before I give it up completely.

duckdog Guest

Default us 2

hay eye went out thare today same luck here but my friends drifting 75 yrd from me useing the same colors limited 530 now getn ready to head back out for the nite bite lol will post if anthing changes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks duck, I'm glad someone got their limit. What was your buddy doing different?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you been trying different techniques. I prefer a fast snap off the bottom then keeping a little line tension on the way back down. If thats not working I keep changing until I figure out what they like that day. Short snaps, long snaps, slow lifts etc... I guess that is why they call it fishing and not catching. Worm harnesses will be hot very soon. Ive already got reports on some success. Good luck and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same area today

Eyecrazy, I was in the same area this morning, didn't do well at first. Moved into shallower water 11 to 13' between Crane Creek and Turtle Point, used 2 driftsocks. The only thing that caught fish was purple hair jig 5/8 oz. purple/green hair w/green glitter strands. Only had one jig like that,until a monster sheephead broke the hook. I got my 6,1 perch,2 sheephead. Friend that fished with me, used every jig in the box...and nothing. I stopped and picked up a few more jigs for sunday morning. I was slow hopping less than a foot off the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Default not complaining just trying to learn.

Dew drop, I know that's why it's called fishing not catching. I understand you don't always catch fish, but when I consistantly get skunked when jigging I just try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I will try that quick snap and keep pressure on the way back down, I haven't done that. Also, do you guys always keep the jig vertical or do you ever cast out and drag it back? I keep it to where I can feel it hit the bottom with every bounce. Thanks for all your input guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday, we had guys trying both. We caught a few off the cast jiigging back in but they said the bite was at the boat when they went vertical. I fished vertical all day and caught 5 fish spread over 7 hours. It was just a slow bite that required patience. I bounced my purple hair jig within a foot of the bottom. Felt the bottom gave a little pop back up a foot slow back down. I also think some of it is just luck. One of our guys caught one eye and eight sheephead. I didn't catch any sheephead. Hope you guys had better luck today.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Default Choose One and Stick With It

Eyes,

It's crazy, I know but you need to determine one cadence of jigging, believe in it, and stick with it. I was there two weeks ago. I tried blade baits, couldn't catch them when several people could. I tried snap jigging, same result. Finally, I took my purple jig (yes, the one you're using) and put on a shiner, and starting jigging with a constance rhythym of lifting and dropping...not more than 8 inches. For me, I lift and dropped the jig right at the boat (no casting).

I caught my limit. My friends adopted the same style at that point, same result. This was after a 1 1/2 days of catching 2-3 fish for the entire boat.

Don't give up. Keeping making a conscience effort to change the jigging every half hour or so. It not a drastic change from one style to another but more subtle. I start with aggressive and end up with a very subtle presentation. At some point, the fish will respond to what you're doing.

Good luck next time out.

PS No matter what any one says, it pays to get out their as early as 5:00 a.m! Too bad I learned that lesson on the last day of the trip. Most fishermen were coming in at 8:00 a.m. already done for the day. So chew on that bit of info.

Tight lines...

Post Thanks / Like

Not2often,

Thanks, that is just the kind of info I need. I will be sure to try your technique the next time I go jigging. I am not one to give up easily. I have fished from daylight till dark many times. It is 130 miles one way for me so believe me I really appreciate any tips to help make for a successful day on the lake.

I think it is time for harness and stinger spoons so maybe I can get into them soon.

Thanks again to everyone with advice. I will be sure to post on my next trip!

hevi-head Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Went out this morning and started fishing by 7:30 am. Fished purple hair and chartruse and green hair jigs for 6hours and didn't catch a single walleye. Especially bad since the wife made the trip with me. We were about 1 1/2 miles out of wild wing's and moved West to the beach area tried 12' to 16' depth range. We tipped with large shinners.
    We did see a few nets go down but no luck for us. I tried jigging at full drift speed and then slowed it down with a couple of 5 gal. buckets. I don't do the big jerking I see some people doing, I just let the jig tap the bottom and lift steady a couple feet to feel the elusive bite. I have made some good post in the past on successful trips fishing harnesses or weapons, even trolling spoons. I just can't seem to figure out how to jig successfully. Same thing last year at this time SKUNKED! I really need some good advice from you jig fisherman before I give it up completely.
    Funny how this works sometimes. We were right out there with you and did pretty well. 7 guys 31 fish on sat. & 38 on sun. The majority were caught early then it slowed as the day went on.

I was the only one tipping with minnows on sat. and the other guys were actually doing better. I tipped with half a crawler on sun. and did good but the guys that weren't using them did just as well.