First Trip Of The Year - Suggestions? First Trip Of The Year - Suggestions? First Trip Of The Year - Suggestions? First Trip Of The Year - Suggestions?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Trip Of The Year - Suggestions?

Planning on heading out for the first time this year, anyone have info on the best place to start? Havent seen much info on the reef complex so guessing either Kelly's area or Huron, hoping to get some assistance to pick the launch. Hopefully can find some and report back!

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Trip Of The Year - Suggestions?

I was out Tuesday for the first time this year. Launched out of Mazuriks and went East. when the other boats showed up they were all on an eastward troll- towards Huron. I stayed on a line between Cedar point and the East side of Kellys and did ok, but wasn't great.. Water was a bit too dirty I think. Seem like folks are launching out of Huron and doing well. It's strange, because this time last year it seemed like everyone was fishing around the Bass islands and between there and Kellys. I'm a novice, so not sure why it's different this year. Maybe those areas don't heat up until spawning time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 350Industrial View Post
    I was out Tuesday for the first time this year. Launched out of Mazuriks and went East. when the other boats showed up they were all on an eastward troll- towards Huron. I stayed on a line between Cedar point and the East side of Kellys and did ok, but wasn't great.. Water was a bit too dirty I think. Seem like folks are launching out of Huron and doing well. It's strange, because this time last year it seemed like everyone was fishing around the Bass islands and between there and Kellys. I'm a novice, so not sure why it's different this year. Maybe those areas don't heat up until spawning time?
    Find clean water, avoid muddy. I would suggest fishing with Juls, bring a list of questions. You will learn so much and speed up your learning curve. I chartered with Juls, now double the catch. She is a great teacher for patience students!
    So many Utube videos by Ross Robertson, daily blogs, plus satellite images will solve your catch rate. Educate yourself with mentioned resources. Good Fishing, Herk
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
    Find clean water, avoid muddy. I would suggest fishing with Juls, bring a list of questions. You will learn so much and speed up your learning curve. I chartered with Juls, now double the catch. She is a great teacher for patience students!
    So many Utube videos by Ross Robertson, daily blogs, plus satellite images will solve your catch rate. Educate yourself with mentioned resources. Good Fishing, Herk
    Fish with a Cap'n- did this, fished with Juls a few years ago and learned a lot

Water color- as I understand it, you don't want muddy or clean, but stained (so you can just see your cavitation plate)

Modis- hasn't been a usable image since March 29, so no help there

Good points, but as you can see, you can do all of that and if you don't have some general intel on where to begin for the day you can still not have a stellar day.

I'm a tournament salmon fisherman on Lake Michigan. The number one tool I use is my network, above anything else. The problem for me fishing Lake Erie a few times a year is that I'm not from the area and haven't built a network yet, simple as that.
    Last edited by 350Industrial; 04-07-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what day you are going. I think Huron will be good by the reports I have been reading lately. That's where I will be on my next trip. Keep your radio on 79 for trollers they will help you. Huron public has a great ramp and great parking lot. Good luck