What line to use when tying crawler harness What line to use when tying crawler harness What line to use when tying crawler harness What line to use when tying crawler harness
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 14#XT green. I have tried the fluorocarbons, but have a tangling problem with them. I tie my harnesses in the off season and store them in 3" X 3" zip lock baggies. With the Trilene 14# XT I can take a harness (3 hook, 8 bead) out of one of the bags, hook it on and I'm done. With the fluorocarbon line when I take them out to use them, they invariably tangle and I spend a couple minutes before I am fishing. Small thing, but it gets annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool snell line harnesses

at least trilene 20lb super tough XL with no1-2 gami hooks, you get the big bad boys chopping on that crawler harness with anything less, you'll be re tying your snells alot more often or losing fish to tooth abrasion. I find after just a few trips out, I'm breaking my snells down and relining in fear of losing my most favored spinner combos killing the walleye.Always have a good supply of replicas ready to replace circumspect harnesses.Down time retying out at sea sucks big time.Another consideration is that that super tough in snag times will likely just cause a hook to break or bend and you won't lose your favorite spinner of the day due to line snap.! I do use green line, sucks to have eyesight that grapples with the clear in tying up snells...lol
    green has been my go to all the time anyways.

also, line stretch and twisting is a huge consideration to avoid with lesser strength line.Compromising a bit from visual detection by fish in bigger line is outweighed in losing tackle and tearing things up while you are fishing.And just a tip for storing those 3-4 ft snells, just get a round pool floatie, cut in 20 inch pieces, get shingle nails and stick them in and wrap your snells around to store them, easy go to, never tangles or kinked should get 15 snell ties per floatie.
    Last edited by limitlypps; 04-07-2018 at 08:03 AM.