83 or 50 83 or 50 83 or 50 83 or 50
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 83 or 50

Post Thanks / Like

Question 83 or 50

I have a tech. question, I'm in the process of buying a new Lowrance,ELITE 7 depthfinder, Which transducer should I get, I read the ducers job but it seens to me I can't get DSI if I go with the 50/ 200 the 83/200-433 something or other, I assume is the ducer with down image right? or what---- I mainly troll Lake Onterio for lakers,salmon ect (over water 300ft) fish usually 100- 150ft down then I do alot of trolling for Walleyes over 80ft of water, fish usualley 45-60 ft down, then I come to Lake Erie and fish waters 30ft or less, now I know of guys that can see their rigger ball and can watch the fish come to the lure and back off out of the screen, Which ducer are they using 50/ 200 or 83/200 any input would be great THANKS GUYS PAP

Post Thanks / Like

For the depths your talking, wanting to watch your cannon balls, I'd go with the 50/200, if you were just fishing shallower Erie, 83/200. For me I don't need the DSI or side imaging, that is a personal preference.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

ok after a ton of calls and talking to people i have learned a lot this winter.

This is what a tech at lowrance sent me.

Lowrance Transducers
    Choosing the Best Transducer
    Choosing the best transducer for your Lowrance Fish Finder needs some understanding of the differences and the features of the transducers on offer. There are two types commonly referred to as: 'single' and 'dual' frequency or shallow and deep water. The differences are not only in the frequency but also in the beam width and they are as follows:
    • 'Single' frequency HST-WSBL 106-72 transducer will operate on 2 frequencies on the new HDS models: 200 (20°) & 83KHz (60°).
    • 'Dual' frequency HST-DFSBL 106-77 transducer will operate on 3 frequencies on the new HDS models: 200KHz (12°), 83KHz (36°) & 50KHz (35°).
    Note that the 'dual' frequency transducer has a narrower Beam Angle than the 'single' frequency transducer. So what difference does that make I hear you ask? Quite a lot actually.

The wider beam angle on the 'Single' will give more fish images and less noise in shallow water (under 100m). 83KHz looks good in fresh and Brackish Water, but does not perform as well as 200Khz in salt water.

For fresh water fishing and under 100m, the 'Single' 106-72 is the best choice and for fishing over 100m & the shelf, choose the 'Dual' 106-77. For some applications you may want both and this is becoming more popular. All Lowrance HDS models can use either of these transducers and the frequency (beam angle) can be switched at any time.

The above comments refer to Transom Mount transducers. However Lowrance also have shoot thru the hull 'Single' frequency transducers and 'Dual' frequency Thru Hull transducers which are suited to larger vessels.

Lowrance Transducers are designed for specific hull types and operating depths. Chosing the right Lowrance transducer is not rocket science, it is a simple matter of answering the right questions:
    • What type of hull and boat length? Tiinies and trailerable fibreglass runabouts will fit a transom mount transducer. Sailing boats and non trailerable Fibreglass will fit a Thru Hull or In Hull.
    • What depth are you fishing? Under 100m will use a an 83/200KHz and over 100m, a 50/200KHz

Now for some explanation. He was telling me that they test the transducers in salt water. He was also saying that the depth give for the two is salt water and is about 2/3rds less for fresh water depth than what is posted in the artical. He said that the 83 is good for about 121ft and then it starts degrading pretty bad. The 50 will show a good picture down to 500+ft. I have an 83/200 on my boat now and am adding the 50/200 this spring. I will be using the 83 on erie and the 50 on michigan. They do make a transducer select switch so you can have both and select which transducer you want to use. Also the 50 will show you thermoclines better than the 83
    Last edited by Line Dancin; 02-11-2013 at 11:54 AM.