Question to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack Question to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack Question to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack Question to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack

I am a rookie but know enough to be courteous so hopefully I was never a problem out there but I did hear a lot of frustration on the radio from what I assumed some were Charter Captains who had smaller boats cutting them off, etc.

Just wondered if some of the more seasoned would like to chime in and add input here about common courtesy, beyond basic rules of the water, when trolling in a large pack of boat like area N. of Niagra over the weekend.

Thanks again to all for your help and guidance! Had a great weekend in this, my rookie season, with 13 for two over Sat. & Sunday. Some real Hawgs too!!!

N. of Niagra about 80 back at 1.6 with all on Bandits. Tiger and Purple Shad worked best for us.

Question to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack-img_20160415_094942194-jpgQuestion to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack-img_20160416_192218380_hdr-jpgQuestion to the Captains about trolling courtesy & protocol in a pack-img_20160415_170047395-jpg
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Idle through or out of a pack of boats or go around giving 300+ yards. Nothing #@$$!$ me off more than than a boat that goes through a pack of boats on plane. This is the quickest way to shut down a good bite.

When trolling through a pack of boats, remember the width of your spread. If it cannot fit through giving the necessary clearance for the boats fishing, don't go through. Do not turn in front of or close behind a fellow boat that is also trolling. When approaching another boat that is trolling, think of driving a car with boats passing each other on their port sides.

Well, first of all I consider myself very respectful! It is frustrating sometimes but I really enjoy my job and refuse to let the pack frustrate me. There are plenty of fish for all of us. Some boats that are really good fisherman attract other boats around them. I quest everyone figures I don't ever catch anything so they don't fish near me. But when I do accidentally run into a pack I try and follow the rules of the road. I do try my best. So if I ever cut you off I am truly sorry I did not do it on Purpose. Most boaters do not know who has the right away. So the size of the boat does not matter. The boat coming toward your starboard side has the right of way! Green light means go! The boat coming towards your port must yield to you! Red light me and stop! But at the end of the day we all must yield to avoid a collision. I know I had a great weekend no one got in my way. Because I just turned and went the other way. No problem. There is more fish over there!! Fish on!!

Default If I might suggest

when you are fishing big boards, when you get through the still pack , do circle to the outside of the pack and work your way back in line with the others doing so especially when you have a consistent wave action, guys with smaller board will go through, make the pass with the waves, pick up, and circle outside to go back to set up once again. Running through the pack to get back is NOT a friendly gesture. You will get sneered upon.I personally usually don't run through the pack out of respect to my fellow fisherman.I still get fish on the outer peripheries much to there gazing on chagrin. lol there's nothing more frustrating when there's folks trolling through the troughs of the waves counter to what most other troller's are doing....... so yes I guess there's sort of a trolling protocol when you get out there just to make us all happy campers.

its a lot easier to give way even when you are not the give way vessel chance of heart attack and hair loss a lot less than playing chicken all day with the other boats. you do get in a bind once in awhile you just hope the other boat understands why you cut it a little close

Default Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    when you are fishing big boards, when you get through the still pack , do circle to the outside of the pack and work your way back in line with the others doing so especially when you have a consistent wave action, guys with smaller board will go through, make the pass with the waves, pick up, and circle outside to go back to set up once again. Running through the pack to get back is NOT a friendly gesture. You will get sneered upon.I personally usually don't run through the pack out of respect to my fellow fisherman.I still get fish on the outer peripheries much to there gazing on chagrin. lol there's nothing more frustrating when there's folks trolling through the troughs of the waves counter to what most other troller's are doing....... so yes I guess there's sort of a trolling protocol when you get out there just to make us all happy campers.
    Think like a truck driver mentality on a turn and like a person in a combine with a spread. Sounds stupid but that gives me an idea about distance and the concept on the water and also starboard and port understanding is nice. I was in the Navy so I get it.

I agree with the most of the previous comments. The only thing I might add, is pay attention to your position and the boats near you. If you see somebody else is going to get in a bind and you have room to open up the pack then do so. I see boats with a wide open lake on one side that refuse to give any room and it makes no sense to me.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

On Sunday I had an idiot blast past me and then stop 75 yards directly in front of me and start setting his gear.I was netting a fish and my buddy who was driving my boat asked me what to do.I told him stay your course full steam ahead.We got to within 20 yards from the back of his boat and one of my friends proceeded to unleash a string of f-bombs on him that would make a sailor blush.He pulled his gear and took off.There is no excuse for this kind of crap.We were not even near any other boats.He just saw us netting a fish and decided to crash our party.

Nothing worse than someone shutting down in front of you when trolling. Next worse thing is when other boaters don't work with turning off you. Knowing how to cut angles is very important when in with multiple trollers. You can turn right while they turn left and after say two minute on that heading can turn right back on line angling behind the person and be perfectly fine. Next thing would be if in pack of boats don't set boards so far out makes easier for all. You can also bring the boards in on a turn so you can manuver sharper. Best rule.... If the boat was there before you STAY OFF HIS LINE OF TRAVEL!!!! (Or her ). Sorry Juls
    Justin Pickett
    F/V Motor Mouth
    Parker 2320 SL
    Foxhaven Marina

Personally if I see a pack of boats fishing in a area that I was originally going to. I will go to another area and fish. I will go and find some other school of fish to fish for when I am trolling. I found out if fishing bye myself not a boat near me the fish are not to finicky. If to many boats in the area seems like the fish shut down. The water is not like it was in the 1980's where you can fish on top of each other. What I am trying to say is that I avoid those packs of boat either I am drifting or trolling.