A change of pace... A change of pace... A change of pace... A change of pace...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A change of pace...

As a change of pace from usual walleye/perch fishing, a group of us takes a yearly trip up to Point Breeze New York to fish the Sandy Creek Shoot Out with the boys from Crazy Yankee Sportfishing. Friday, we pre-fished the tournament finding a nice mix bag of Kings, Steelhead and an occasional Laker. For Saturday's tournament we fished a little further east from the day previous looking for a larger grade of King Salmon. It didn't take long before the down rigger rods and the copper long lines started firing Saturday morning with bigger Kings. We slammed the fish in 100-120 FOW on herring meat rigs and A-Tom-Mik flies. Our 4 biggest Kings went nearly 91lbs which was good enough for 2nd place in the Shootout in a field of 46 boats. Though I am an avid Erie fisherman, Lake Ontario has the potential to ruin you. I am yet to see a walleye spool off 100' of drag!

http://www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images A change of pace...-yankee-troller-16-jpg A change of pace...-triple-jpg A change of pace...-benson-king-jpg A change of pace...-vaugh-king-jpg A change of pace...-filet-16-jpg 

Default Nice!

Great Job, and very nice report! I'd like to hear more about it as I am very interested in learning how to fish for Kings and Steelhead out in the lake. Are you by chance docked in Marblehead at Bass Haven? I think I may have ran into you before.

iiiiii-carumba! I think just seein those pictures might have ruined me

Quote Originally Posted by Jiga-Byte View Post
    Great Job, and very nice report! I'd like to hear more about it as I am very interested in learning how to fish for Kings and Steelhead out in the lake. Are you by chance docked in Marblehead at Bass Haven? I think I may have ran into you before.
    We sure are... we have one boat on I dock and another on L dock... Where are you located at?

I personally do not know much about fishing for salmon and steelhead. Its a whole new science with down riggers, current, thermocline/water temp, flashers, dodgers, copper line, steel line etc. We have been going up now for about ten years trying different charters out. We finally ran across the Hajecki brothers (Crazy Yankee Sportfishing) about 4-5 years ago who tournament fish and when they are not tournament fishing, they charter their boat for clients. I highly recommend them to introduce you into this new fishing scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Buc-Eye View Post
    We sure are... we have one boat on I dock and another on L dock... Where are you located at?

I personally do not know much about fishing for salmon and steelhead. Its a whole new science with down riggers, current, thermocline/water temp, flashers, dodgers, copper line, steel line etc. We have been going up now for about ten years trying different charters out. We finally ran across the Hajecki brothers (Crazy Yankee Sportfishing) about 4-5 years ago who tournament fish and when they are not tournament fishing, they charter their boat for clients. I highly recommend them to introduce you into this new fishing scene.

I'm also on I dock. I'm pretty sure we crossed paths earlier this year and spoke briefly. So far I've been pretty much just into the Walleye and Perch like most western basin guys, but wouldn't mind going further east to try and catch some Steelhead. Or even exploring other waters for Kings. Went on a charter and caught Kings one time on Lake Michigan, but never on my own boat. Seems like an exciting new frontier.

Wow! That will get the old heart pumping! Congratulations on your great catch. I'm also ready for a change of pace, so we are heading up to Frankfort off of Lake Michigan this coming weekend. Reports are not the best, but I will post how we do anyway.

nice were leaving on the 6th for a week in olcott

Let us know how you do next week.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

I am going this weekend to Olcott. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who feels like Mid-July thru Mid-August is a tough time to catch fish on the western basin. That time period is prime time for Salmon much like May and June is our prime time for suspended walleye. If you're already geared up for walleye trolling, all you need in addition to what you probably have is a pair of downriggers, a speed/temp probe, and maybe a couple high capacity reels for copper or leadcore line and some different terminal tackle. The best part is when these fish hit, there is no question whether you got a bite. No 'reading the Rod tips' required. The Rod explodes!

That looks like it might be addicting!