Remote steering for 9.9 Mercury Kicker Remote steering for 9.9 Mercury Kicker Remote steering for 9.9 Mercury Kicker Remote steering for 9.9 Mercury Kicker
    basser53 Guest

Default Remote steering for 9.9 Mercury Kicker

I am wanting to install remote steering on my merc 9.9. I want a setup that is dependable. I have looked at Cabelas, Panther brand but haven't seen any good reviews on it. I know that you guys can point me in the right direction!Thanks to all.

The panther t4 or t5 utilizes the threaded tilt tube on your outboard/kicker. There are no holes too drill just screw it on and attach the steering adapter to the front of the outboard frame, a very simple and straightforward installation. I know several people who have the t4 and are happy with them. You must have a threaded tilt tube for them to work though, I suggest searching panther electro steer and view the videos to find the unit that would best work for you. The T5 is made for a more confined space.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

The panther that attacheds onto the tube as menioned does stick out quite a ways which depending on your application can be a problem. I have an older panther that uses a electric window regulator. I don't use it as I prefer to steer using the kicker attached to the outdrive. For me the response time is too slow on alot of occations. The panther will go lock to lock in 4 seconds, but if your in rough seas, or alot of boat traffic that is way to long and you can't really judge where your going to end up steering too as there is no position indicator, so you do alot of corrections. Some folks love em. It's just not for me. A windy day and your really working it trying to stay on a trolling path. Along with it is mounted to one side of your transom so it does not react as fast as you might think.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

basser53 Guest

Default 9.9 merc steering

Thanks ,ebijack and wakina for your help.Now i need to do a little research and decide what i need to do.I also heard of a unit made by Powertran, Has anyone had any experience with this unit?.They say it is completely waterproof.

If you have the $$, TR-1 is a awesome unit. Once programed properly it can do S turn, tie into your electronics to hit way points, speed control etc.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.