Harness Components Harness Components Harness Components Harness Components
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Harness Components

Since it's kind of quiet in here, I'd like some feedback on where to gather worm harness components from. I'd like to start tying my own. so any input on best or favorite, hooks, colors, beads, leader, type of spinner preferred, etc. I've had some shotty pre-made harnesses fail. Check your line after a mis-hit and have the leader snapped off and an empty piece of line on the end of your swivel. Merry Christmas.

They are pretty easy to make some great blades can be found locally along with beads , the best info I can give is call Jim at 716-796-5372 he'll set anyone on the right course to making harnesses.
    22' starcraft islander "H"EYE STRUNG

Staff Fishing WNY
    Team member Descendants outdoors TV
    Prostaff Elusion camo .
    Prostaff ITO Flies
    Prostaff Ultimate Outdoors of WNY.
    Field Staff Kishels Scents and Lures .

Bailey, where the hell have you been hiding ??

Quote Originally Posted by lineman49 View Post
    Bailey, where the hell have you been hiding ??
    It's been a busy year , work has been insane and still going strong with the mild weather . I won't complain I didn't get as much time out as I would like by any means but next year will be a lot better of a year. Are you going to the Greater Niagara Fishing Expo in January? I'll be there with Ultimate Outdoors.
    22' starcraft islander "H"EYE STRUNG

Staff Fishing WNY
    Team member Descendants outdoors TV
    Prostaff Elusion camo .
    Prostaff ITO Flies
    Prostaff Ultimate Outdoors of WNY.
    Field Staff Kishels Scents and Lures .

Not sure if I am going yet, maybe.

Bailey, nice to see you around. I don't doubt Jim can help. I was looking for input from others as well. Unless harness info is kept like waypoints on Erie. I found this site while trolling for info, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/lure-making-parts/, pretty much has everything. Add these two,http://www.dbfishing.com/, hagensfish.com.
    Last edited by Stiksave; 12-20-2015 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiksave View Post
    Since it's kind of quiet in here, I'd like some feedback on where to gather worm harness components from. I'd like to start tying my own. so any input on best or favorite, hooks, colors, beads, leader, type of spinner preferred, etc. I've had some shotty pre-made harnesses fail. Check your line after a mis-hit and have the leader snapped off and an empty piece of line on the end of your swivel. Merry Christmas.
    Rainbow sports has everything your need for making harnesses. North Tonawanda on Oliver St. business hours are 4-8 pm 716-692-7510 267 Oliver street NT

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ra...9e52e425705f4e
    Last edited by Anchor Wheel; 12-20-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Never been to Rainbow Sports, but I do hear their name recommended. It's been my experience that I the best selection thru Mail Order/Online Catalogs. My go to places are Janns Netcraft, Barlow, and Lure Parts Online. Have been building worm harnesses for over 40 years.

As to recommendations - that is a personal choice based on the success that I enjoy and where and how I am fishing. When I am fishing shallow water, I like Indiana Spinners in size #3. There was a few year stretch where I did extremely good using #1's and started using some #5's in recent years with success. As to colors - hammered nickel and copper, green, chartreuse and pearl. As to beads - that is another personal choice with harness building using anything from a small 3mm up to a 10mm. Use to use 5mm, but in recent history I exclusively use 3mm. And then there is color of beads - you can mix and match or go exclusively with one color that will compliment the color of your blade. Mt shallow water harnesses are tied on the green color Berkley XT in 10# test. Use to use the plain wire clevises, but found that they nicked up the line quickly. Now I only use the folded clevises. Some anglers now use clevises that allow you to change the color of blade that your using. I don't because I find them to be big and bulky. On the Indiana's I use either a double or single #6 Mustad 92553 hook.

In the deeper waters I more than likely will be using a #4 Willowleaf Blade in tandem. Same colors as with the Indiana's, but also include watermelon painted on the hammered nickel and copper. Black and purple is another good combo. In recent years I have enjoyed success with a blue shad hologram blade that I cannot buy anymore. Have even tied these up with 3 blades in line. There are some very good tournament anglers that I know that do well with #6 Colorado blades trolled on the slow side. Another blade for slow trolling would be a #6 Magnum Willowleaf - depending on the manufacturer, you might find them called by something else. Use to use the #20 Berkley XT on these harnesses, but in recent years I have switched to using 7 strand stainless wire in #30 with camo finnish. I upgrade hooks in size using #2 up to 3/0 depending on what I am building. Last year caught my largest 'eye on something new that I am trying by tying a fly to the 3/0 92553 Mustad. Started out trying to duplicate the old Yellow Sally with bucktail. While it worked, best color was some thing I called Pearch - the bulk of hair was yellow, with green on top and some red on the bottom sides. Also included some eyes on this.

Gonna change the subject of the post - Got to go - time to start making Pierogi's.

Lerie, nice post. Thanks for the info. I picked up most of my shopping list online. 20lb. Fluorocarbon leader, #2 and #4 Matzuo and Gamagatzu Octopus hooks, 2,500 beads from Michaels, Hammered Colorado blades in copper, sliver, and watermelon to start, clevises, and straight ball bearing swivels. That should keep me busy when it all gets here after the holidays.

Great info. Lerie.
    Thanks.
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams