Call me old fashioned, but... Call me old fashioned, but... Call me old fashioned, but... Call me old fashioned, but...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Back in the day, I accumulated a lot of forward weight lures. Erie Dearies, Reef Runners, Tom's, Tiny Teasers, Parrishes, you name it. As time went by and fish started hitting more on worm harnesses, weapons, spoons, and crankbaits, in general, these went into the box and rarely saw the light of day.

70% of the time I go out fishing alone. When I go out with family or friends, I will bother to set up the trolling gear. By myself, I just don't justify the time, effort, and cost in gas to put out two poles.

Well nothing is easier to cast than a forward weight lure, and with the number of fish being caught this year, I have done something on a more regular basis that I haven't done for years (minus once or twice a year for kicks). I've been drifting/casting with forward weight lures.

In 2 trips on the lake I've put 10 keepers in the box using them.

Now I'm not saying this isn't a fluke, I'm just saying, with the number of fish out there... it's worth a shot if you still have them kicking around.

When you think about it, it makes some sense. Last time I saw the lake with this many fish in it was when the hatchery on south bass was still running, in the early to mid 90s. Back then hardly anyone bothered to troll. It wasn't needed. Packs of boats would be bunched up drifting and casting.

Man, it would be neat to return to that for a few years, as it looks like we have had a couple really good hatches in a row....
    Some of us never stopped. It's called fishing, not driving around in a boat running into fish
    Yes, trollers catch more, but trust me, we drifters have more fun feeling the fish hit etc.
    Last few years have been tough drifting, but I have more than enough fish for myself and relatives. Next 3-4 years will be fantastic, unless trollers drown all the small ones.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobd47fish View Post
    Some of us never stopped. It's called fishing, not driving around in a boat running into fish
    Yes, trollers catch more, but trust me, we drifters have more fun feeling the fish hit etc.
    Last few years have been tough drifting, but I have more than enough fish for myself and relatives. Next 3-4 years will be fantastic, unless trollers drown all the small ones.....
    You didn't have to go there. That is the great part - we are all free to fish in the manner that makes us happy. If I want to feel the fish I can catch sheep head all day. I like to eat them.

I get my erie dearies at walmart, and you can still get the golden nuggets at drawbridge marina. Gold erie dearies work best for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justretired View Post
    I wish I knew what happened to all the Erie Dearies, gold nuggets, silver nuggets, Old reliables ,etc etc I had. Have a few but not like I did have.

Amen to the drifting and actually having the thrill of feeling the fish fight. I have no problems with the trollers unless they try to run me over!! Maybe some day when I can no longer hold a pole I may have to resort to that but I'm happy for now having that one on one with the fish that I caught with my own two hands!! I still get that adrenaline rush when I fight a 15" walleye and I'm afraid it wont be the same catching one trolling.

i have a guy who makes the old time erie derie of course they cant be called that he has a mold he pours then sends them out to be gold plated maybe i can get you a few probably cheap ill have to ask what size and colors we had so many from a bait shop closing i gave them away or they went for 50 cents but i have my old box on the boat let me know if you want some then ill check the price

Always drifted/casted always will that's fishing

Happy Hooker has golden nuggets~! come get some~!~!

Quote Originally Posted by drift fisher View Post
    Always drifted/casted always will that's fishing
    We guessed that from your name...lol