Trolling Speed Trolling Speed Trolling Speed Trolling Speed

Thread: Trolling Speed

Default Trolling Speed

Heading to Lake Erie fishing out of Walnut beginning Friday, 7/18 for a weeks vacation. Finally tried out planer boards a few weekends ago, but no luck; the few I caught were on dipsys at 90 and 110 in 59 FOW - off rod holders. Others were having luck, so the final factor is trolling speed. I troll between 2.2 - 2.8 kts, based on the chart plotters reading - is that too fast? That is the slowest, without a drift sock I can troll.

I am bringing a few friends up this week and want to get some fish in the box.

Thanks

that speed is ok if your just running spoons. but if your running harnesses you really need to slow down. I usually troll 1.8 to 2.0 and that is on the fast side. this time of year a lot of guys like to troll down as low as 1.5 with harnesses.

I used an easy troller trolling plate for yrs and it did a great job for me. but I found a set of trolling bags and decided to use them last yr. I like the bags much better in rough water. the bags help stabilize the boat and keeps the speed more stable. but either one will slow your boat down. the easy troller is the best trolling plate as the bottom half of the plate is hinged and spring loaded so if you ever forget to raise the plate it doesn't bend like the happy troller but the bottom half of your plate swings up and saves the plate. as for bags I don't know what I have but they work. and I have heard the Amish trolling bags are the best.
    sherman

Thanks Sherman. That make sense because all the 'eyes were bagged on spoons, 3 of them on the same spoon. The only thing on the stix were white bass.

Heading up tomorrow for the weekend and I will try the bags.

Im still a rookie but just want to confirm your speed. I THINK most posts on here refer to MPH mased on gps. Not Knts. 1 knot is equal to 1.15 mph so you are running pretty fast. If you look in your setting there may be a place to change the display to read MPH.