Lb test for jigging? Lb test for jigging? Lb test for jigging? Lb test for jigging?

Default Lb test for jigging?

What type/lb test do you guys use for jigging? I've jigged for Walleye before on other lakes, but the last time I fished for Walleye on Erie was 15 years ago with an Erie Dearie. Upon searching it looks like a purple haired jig with a stinger and topped with a shiner works great, but they never mention the line they use. Any help would be appreciated!

8-10 lb mono is all I've ever used

Quote Originally Posted by ml1987 View Post
    8-10 lb mono is all I've ever used
    I figured 8lb off the top of my head. 10lb in muddier conditions.

Customer rods are filled with 10 lb Stren low viz green. My personal rod I use Suffix 832, green and 10 pound braid with a flourocarbon leader. In the shallow waters for jigging, mono line will work fine and your jig not that far from your rod tip and you can feel it hit bottom easy enough. Very long casts with mono and you loose alot of feel with bottom contact that you need. You a good line and a good rod that feels good to you. Stay away from a flimsy rod, use medium with fast action tip, 6.6 - 7 foot. Call if ya need more help.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by gregnwtf View Post
    Customer rods are filled with 10 lb Stren low viz green. My personal rod I use Suffix 832, green and 10 pound braid with a flourocarbon leader. In the shallow waters for jigging, mono line will work fine and your jig not that far from your rod tip and you can feel it hit bottom easy enough. Very long casts with mono and you loose alot of feel with bottom contact that you need. You a good line and a good rod that feels good to you. Stay away from a flimsy rod, use medium with fast action tip, 6.6 - 7 foot. Call if ya need more help.
    Wow thanks!

I like to use 15# suffix 832 braid and tie on about 3' 15# seaguar fluro leader. but you could go lighter with 10# braid and 10# leader. just remember braid has no stretch so when you set the hook be very gentle or you might break off 10# braid.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I like to use 15# suffix 832 braid and tie on about 3' 15# seaguar fluro leader. but you could go lighter with 10# braid and 10# leader. just remember braid has no stretch so when you set the hook be very gentle or you might break off 10# braid.
    Just a suggestion, but of you go lighter on the leader than your main line you shouldn't have to worry about your main line snapping. I know with jigging that's only a swivel, but once you start pulling harnesses and spoons behind divers it can save you a lot of money over a season.

All my leaders for jigging are 17lb Vanish. The stiff leader helps with no tangles of the jig and the stinger hooks. Works well with blade baits also. I rarely break anything all jig season. In stained water, direct tie should do great also.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]