Replacing caught fish with new correction Replacing caught fish with new correction Replacing caught fish with new correction Replacing caught fish with new correction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Exclamation Replacing caught fish with new correction

Changed the original post to this but wanted to make sure as many people read it as possible and know of the correction.

04/18/16 post update - Thank you Firetiger for the correction. I was wrong in saying - "I am 95% sure the rule is once you "possess" the fish it count's towards your limit and that's that... You can't then later, even a few minutes, toss it back and replace it with a newly caught fish, even if you are not at a full limit." I put the "95% sure" and "I don't have the regs in front of me" in the original post precisely because I didn't have the regulations handy and didn't want to say something for certain that I hadn't checked. This is a great example of 'check before you post.' I apologize to anyone who read the post before the correction and now thinks you can't "cull" fish in a limit.

Checked with ODW. It's been the rule / law for a long time. Don't know where the idea came from in my head, but I got it wrong. Maybe I got it mixed up with another rule. Anyway, yes you can release a possessed fish as long as it is alive and replace it with a newly caught fish. So if you already have a limit and catch "the big one" you can keep it and release one of your previously caught fish as long as it is alive. You don't have to be at your limit, you can do this at any point provided the released fish is alive.

However, as mentioned in the original post and commented on by pimplepounder, "fish involved in this process and later released have a high mortality rate... The fish may seem fine and swim away with a few quick tail thrusts, but the many stress effects of being caught and then kept out of the natural water environment take a hidden toll that often doesn't show up until later. So think twice before doing this, most likely you are releasing a fish that will not survive."

Just because a fish is "alive" doesn't mean it's good sportsmanship to release it in order to keep a freshly caught fish when it may be or is past the point of recovery if released. Each of us has to make that decision according to the situation, no matter where we are fishing.

So all tournament fish probably die?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    So all tournament fish probably die?
    Go to where they release the fish after a bass tournament the following couple of days. Take a good look around. Its not normal to see that many fish floating around of the same species in the same area. I know they do not all die, but a good share of them do.

I have noticed this quite a few times at different places. Fish placed in a live-well and having there bodies pounded around in there while bashing across the water is pretty tough on them plus the surface water temperature is much warmer which isn't very healthy either.

But what do you do?
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I'd be more worried about commercial fishing, algae blooms and not having a closed season while walleye spawn than people sorting fish that they catch

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
    I'd be more worried about commercial fishing, algae blooms and not having a closed season while walleye spawn than people sorting fish that they catch
    Commercial fishing is, at least for walleyes, a Canadian problem that the Ohio/US cannot control and there is no commercial fishing for walleyes in Ohio waters! Algae blooms, while not yet controlled is a multi pronged problem that is being attacked in several different ways and areas, you are right that problem could use more attention. Having a closed season while walleye spawn has been proven in Lake Erie to have very litte effect on the overall population. One must remember that the lake can and has in the past had more walleyes than what the lake could sustain as they ate themselves out of house and home buy depleting their food base. It has happened before. Common sense should prevail in the fact that a hen/female walleye is just as much a hen/female walleye in the summer and fall as they are in the spring and they are just as egg laden in the summer and fall as in the spring with the only difference being the eggs are not visably developed yet to the point that a person can see them with their naked eye.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Personally I think the rule that says you can cull fish as long as the one you release is alive and healthy is a subjective term.

Once they have been fought and released is one thing, but they still have a build up of lactic acid. If they are in a live-well banging around for a while or have their lower jar pierced and them tore to the jawbone by a stringer followed by being caught.. Its pretty sketchy in my own ethical view. Ones persons alive and healthy VS someone else's is the subjective component of this condition.

I personally can't do that, but the law is the law.
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Personally I think the rule that says you can cull fish as long as the one you release is alive and healthy is a subjective term.

Once they have been fought and released is one thing, but they still have a build up of lactic acid. If they are in a live-well banging around for a while or have their lower jar pierced and them tore to the jawbone by a stringer followed by being caught.. Its pretty sketchy in my own ethical view. Ones persons alive and healthy VS someone else's is the subjective component of this condition.

I personally can't do that, but the law is the law.
    I don't cull, if they go in my live well it is to bleed out before they go in the cooler. I know when I net them if I am going to keep it or not. They either get instant freedom or bled out.

The law is what it is ànd I will not chastise someone who is following the law. The place to complain is at your legislator of the ODNR District Office. They are the ones who can actually get the change one is looking for.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Yes I agree with you .
    Thanks.
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

i keep the first fish that gets my limit i love catching 10 pound fish but i would not keep it to through back a 2-3 pound eater to me the smaller fish taste better unless someones just wants a fish for the wall which i have 2 from years past thats enough unless its the first walleye my grandson catches and its a nice fish again just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by rscotfish View Post
    i keep the first fish that gets my limit i love catching 10 pound fish but i would not keep it to through back a 2-3 pound eater to me the smaller fish taste better unless someones just wants a fish for the wall which i have 2 from years past thats enough unless its the first walleye my grandson catches and its a nice fish again just my opinion
    Yes, rscotfish, them 3-4 pounders are sure the tastiest . Less of that brown meat overall too. I waited until I had a 13 pounder to get on mounted. The next will have to be at least a 14 so that solves a lot of problems. My wife thinks so too. lol

Kent
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium