Areas to try?? Areas to try?? Areas to try?? Areas to try??

Thread: Areas to try??

Default Areas to try??

Gonna be docked in East Harbor this year. I've never fished out that way. What are some good areas to target Perch and Walleye? Thanks!
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    Gonna be docked in East Harbor this year. I've never fished out that way. What are some good areas to target Perch and Walleye? Thanks!
    I am in East Harbor.

I'm hardly a charter captain or whatever, but have been fishing the area for 25 years. So, what I'd say is:

For walleye:

Accepting that fish move around, in the early year, you want to hit the reefs and shoals out west, near the Camp Perry firing line. Sometimes you can do well in the flats around this area all year.

By mid to late May, you would look at hitting up the islands, especially the deep areas just off the reefs to on the reefs. As the water warms, by late May through late June, mainly the deep areas off of the North and East sides of Kellys. Though, don't overlook the reefs at dawn and dusk.

As the fish move east, in July and August, start targeting Cedar Point and east.

For perch: really hard to say. I've limted out just off Lakeside, right off East Harbor, at all times of the year. Or off the west side of Kellys, or the east side of kellys. Just watch where the fish reports direct you.

Sometimes I troll. Sometimes I drift and cast. For the former, you want to start with crankbaits in the early year, giving way to spoons and eventually worm harnesses in mid to late may and june. If you feel nostalgic, sometimes a forward weight lure on a dipsy diver can be quite productive. For drifting/casting: I ALWAYS leave an Erie Dearie out on a bottom bouncing rig, but otherwise cast worm harnesses and weapons once the jig bite is done (and it's close to that now).

Often, late in the season, when you see some packs of perch fishermen, fishing their edges can also net some nice 'eyes.

Awesome! Very good information. Thanks for sharing and good luck out there this year.