time for upgrades!! time for upgrades!! time for upgrades!! time for upgrades!!

Default time for upgrades!!

now that my fishing season is over and the boat is safely tucked away for the year i was wanting to make some upgrades for next years season. i was just wondering what everyone was using for rod holders? i fish with dipsy's and jets mainly but throw boards out on occasion. are there different type of holders for different applications? i just want to ditch the style i use now (which is two rod holders i mounted in the back to go straight out and two built in holders on the rails. 96 wellcraft 23 excell walk around) also i just put on a trollmaster 2 and when i start my kicker the throttle is almost open. has anyone had any experience using the trollmaster? i'm starting to think i should of went with itroll or controll king. i had duberts install the trollmaster.

thanks for the help and opinions

I used to have a trollmaster. Make sure it is powered on before you start your kicker. That resets the servo to idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankangler View Post
    I used to have a trollmaster. Make sure it is powered on before you start your kicker. That resets the servo to idle.
    makes sense lol. wont be able to to really get to use it till next year though. sucks

I use Muddy Creek tackle rod holders and love them. I also have a set of Cisco's triples on gimbal mounts I can take off when not using them. I'd recommend putting tracks down the sides of your boat and across the back and buying individual tubes. That way you can move them anywhere you want them and take them off if they are in the way. That how my new boat is and love it. We put 6 down each side and 6 across the back. We take the back ones out while trolling so we don't have to work around them then put them in for perch fishing. This way you can perch fish from anywhere on the boat and space them out evenly so each guy has 2. Just depends on how many guys you fish to decide on how many you would need. The other nice thing about this setup is if you want to take a cruise to the islands or something you just pop them out of the tracks and your good to go. They make cup holders and tool holders that slide in the tracks too. Kinda pricey to start but when you have them you will love them. Just my opinion though. Hope this helps. Any questions let me know.

I've seen the rail systems. You're not wrong about them being pricey. Generally how far do you space your rod holders for trolling?

i have the cannon single axis ratcheting holders with tracks and they are absolutely an awesome setup. these rod holders are 61.46 at amazon plus the tracks. i got 24" tracks and just didn't have the room i wanted so i bought 2 more 24" tracks. so now i have 2 24" tracks on each side of my 21' boat. the traxstech ratcheting holders have more adjustments than the cannon but they cost 125.00 each. the cannon has like 6 positions up and down, the traxstech has 17 up and down. the cannon is all one hand operation. just squeeze the rod holder and tilt down to where you want it set. when you want to raise it just grab the rod and lift up and it ratchets up to the upright position then just lift the rod up out of the holder. they are awesome when running dipsy type divers. if you get a hit just grab the rod and ratchet the holder up, no more reaching out to the side of the boat to remove the rod. they are solid holders that should last a lifetime. i would never go back to any rod holder that doesn't ratchet for running divers. they have something like a 70 degree left to right adjustment. you can set them directly out to the side or somewhere in between. these works great for when you get a fish pulling on the rod. instead of leaning out over the side of the boat and trying to pull the rod out, you just lift the rod up and lift it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    i have the cannon single axis ratcheting holders with tracks and they are absolutely an awesome setup. these rod holders are 61.46 at amazon plus the tracks. i got 24" tracks and just didn't have the room i wanted so i bought 2 more 24" tracks. so now i have 2 24" tracks on each side of my 21' boat. the traxstech ratcheting holders have more adjustments than the cannon but they cost 125.00 each. the cannon has like 6 positions up and down, the traxstech has 17 up and down. the cannon is all one hand operation. just squeeze the rod holder and tilt down to where you want it set. when you want to raise it just grab the rod and lift up and it ratchets up to the upright position then just lift the rod up out of the holder. they are awesome when running dipsy type divers. if you get a hit just grab the rod and ratchet the holder up, no more reaching out to the side of the boat to remove the rod. they are solid holders that should last a lifetime. i would never go back to any rod holder that doesn't ratchet for running divers. they have something like a 70 degree left to right adjustment. you can set them directly out to the side or somewhere in between. these works great for when you get a fish pulling on the rod. instead of leaning out over the side of the boat and trying to pull the rod out, you just lift the rod up and lift it out.
    thanks for the great description! i will definitely look into these. the season will be here before i know it. want to make sure i have all my ducks in a row before then