Minn Kota trolling motor issues Minn Kota trolling motor issues Minn Kota trolling motor issues Minn Kota trolling motor issues

Default Minn Kota trolling motor issues

I have an 80lb 24 volt terova bow mount on my 2095 Yarcraft boat. I love the I pilot gps feature and use it as my poor mans auto pilot on lakes Michigan and Erie. I have noticed however, in extreme conditions using the 9 and 10 settings, that it just quits? My last trip on Erie a couple weeks ago I also noticed the battery check feature quit working as well. So I got her home, recharged the batteries, checked connections, and the circuit breakers, but still the battery check feature does not function. Everything working fine, just not the digital lights on the battery check feature. So that's my story and I am hoping that I can get some advise. Thanks in advance guys!!

Jim
    Bristol, in

I thought I would give you an update to my troubleshooting endeavor. I checked the connections, batteries, breakers and everything else and said screw it!! I called the factory and spoke to a service tech at Minn-Kota who told me to send it in and they would check it out. The motor is well out of warranty and I was pleasantly surprised that Minn-Kota paid for the shipping both ways. Once at the factory they called me and explained that the motor tested fine in the test tank, at high speeds (9 -10) over duration, with no issues. The battery check issue was a loose connection. The tech walked me thru the wiring on my boat and explained that 50amp circuit breakers are probably the culprit. They recommended a 60a hi-amp buss and sent me one back with the motor.
    I will be hitting Erie in the next few weeks if I beat the ice and keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim
    Bristol, IN