Western Basin Areas Western Basin Areas Western Basin Areas Western Basin Areas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Channel Grove in East Harbor is a great place... more expensive, but you have drive up to your boat docking, and it's the first marina in East Harbor. Plus it is 4 miles to the South Side of Kelley's and only 5 miles to South Bass...
    What you spend on a dock will be saved in fuel!

PS- I may be considered bias in my opinion of Channel Grove... but I still think I'm right.

second everything that matt said...Just hope new owners are as nice as the Browns were...lol i moved from meinke west to channel grove three years ago. It added 20 minutes to my drive but the fishing and people have been well worth it. At MM people were ok, but charter captains were very tight lipped about any information as well as the two local bait shops. The marina owners were cordial. The fishing was good early april adn may. Perch fishing was ok, good numbers but average quality. by july I was driving the boat 12 miles minimum one way most days to find walleyes.
    Since the move to channel grove i've received more help from the bait stores and charter captains than I can process. I can also say that even though I pay more for the slip, I feel as though I've made the extra money up in fuel savings as I'm guessing that my average miles driven to find fish is now around 6. The fishing around the islands is consistent all season long plus there is good fishing in the harbor as well. Good luck in your decision!

troy

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Port Clinton is the center of the Ohio shore of the Western Basin year around fishing, from West Sister to the east side of Kelleys Island. However, Catawba Island (West Harbor) is farther north, so the distance or time to say Niagara Reef is about the same. Overall Catawba Island is arguably the best location. Western locations are more fishing related. Port Clinton east has more non-fishing boat recreation (and traffic). Marinas reflect these uses and clientele.

Generally speaking, if you do a lot of April and early May fishing and pretty much quit by August, and 90% of what you do is fish, and you rarely stay overnight, then docking over west around Locust Point (Davis Besse) is an advantage. If you fish all season and do other boating activities like island hopping, swimming, etc. then being closer to the islands is better (Catawba). List your activities by priority and time. Then match those to the location best suited for all of them.

All great posts! Thank you to all. I have decided on Channel Grove. We will run to the reef complex for the early season for sure. But, with everything else considered, I think I'll be in the right spot. I'll be in the ugliest 27' Sportcraft on the lake named "The Jeffries". Let me know if anyone needs anything from the St. Louis, MO area, as I will be up often.

Can you bring some of the best BBQ sauce St. Louis has to offer?? That'd be great!

Quote Originally Posted by stlouisloui View Post
    All great posts! Thank you to all. I have decided on Channel Grove. We will run to the reef complex for the early season for sure. But, with everything else considered, I think I'll be in the right spot. I'll be in the ugliest 27' Sportcraft on the lake named "The Jeffries". Let me know if anyone needs anything from the St. Louis, MO area, as I will be up often.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by stlouisloui View Post
    Welcome to Channel grove my friend. You have just joined the friendliest Fishing marina around. I can't wait to talk and fish near you. Please feel free to call or stop by the boat anytime. We are in dock 74. Most of us at Channel grove work great together. The new owners are awesome it's gonna be a great year!!!

Thanks so much, Jim. We'll be in dock 39. Looking forward to this season!