Crossing into Canada Crossing into Canada Crossing into Canada Crossing into Canada
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crossing into Canada

I was looking to take my boat into Canadian water to try and troll for walleye. I have never taken my boat to Canada before what do I need to do and what should I have with me? Also any other advise on fishing in Canada is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by walleyewarrior View Post
    I was looking to take my boat into Canadian water to try and troll for walleye. I have never taken my boat to Canada before what do I need to do and what should I have with me? Also any other advise on fishing in Canada is appreciated.
    Next weekend will be my first time crossing myself. I have found info at this link helpful.
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

Quote Originally Posted by walleyewarrior View Post
    This is from the Michigan Sportsman forum and might help with your question.

You would need documentation as if you were crossing by land in a car thru the bridge or tunnel. (which is proof citizenship and photo ID)

I believe the passport, passport card or enhanced driver licence is required by the US to get back in.

The following is directly from the Canadian booklet:

Call 1-888-226-7277
    The master required to follow these steps:

1. give full name, date of birth and citizenship for every person on board
    2. give destination, purpose of trip and length of stay in canada for each non canadian person.
    3. give visa and passport info if applicable
    4. make sure all passengers have photo ID and proof of citizenship documents
    5. declare all goods being imported including firearms and weapons
    6. report all currency and monetary instruments over $10,000
    7. give true and complete information
    8. for returning residents of Canada, declare all repairs or modifications made to goods including the boat while outside Canada

As proof of presentation, the border services officer will give the master (boat owner/capt.) a report number for their records. The master must give this number to a border officer upon request.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

For more info or questions call 1-800-461-9999 or www.cbsa.gc.ca

A passport, birth certificate, or enhanced driver's license is required of everyone on board now. You used to be able to just have a driver's license, but now they want proof of citizenship.

It's easy....they are nice...and just answer the questions they ask. Make sure to write the entry number they give you down on something, or put it in your phone. If you get checked and don't have that number, they will fine you.

If you do not touch land, you do not need to call in to US Customs upon your return.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Once you report in they keep your information so it's very quick the next time that you report in.

Enhanced Drivers License, how is this different from a regular DL ? Never knew their was 2 types. Thanks a lot, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fishin2 View Post
    Enhanced Drivers License, how is this different from a regular DL ? Never knew their was 2 types. Thanks a lot, Mike
    In Michigan we have an enhanced DL available to us that can be used to enter Canada and I believe Mexico. We have to provide a birth certificate and fill out some additional paperwork to confirm citizenship in addition to paying an additional fee. When you get it they tell you the magnetic strip contains personal information needed for border crossing.

GF

Thanks, used the old internet and found it out also, the DMV says its not available in Ohio, anyone know any different. I have a passcard anyhow but want to know.
    Thanks all, Mike

Can you call in and tell them the night before or does it have to be the day of?

You have to call 888-226-7277 to check in with Canadian officials day of,when entering Canadian water.Need your nonresident fishing liscence and passport or birth certificate(with a number).When you call in they ask for boat registration number and where came from and currently located.Then names of all on board with birthdate and number off your passport or birth certificate.Answer few questions...currency,going on land,drugs....then they give you a confirmation number you write down.Need to be carefull of commercial nets since a lot more there than USA.Also,no alcohol allowed to be consumed on Canadian side.Even an empty can will be fined.