1993 mercury 60 hp beeping problem (really) 1993 mercury 60 hp beeping problem (really) 1993 mercury 60 hp beeping problem (really) 1993 mercury 60 hp beeping problem (really)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy 1993 mercury 60 hp beeping problem (really)

my warning beeper on control won't shut off. I was told it could be oil not injecting into motor, but their is oil smoke coming out prop exhaust. The other thing i was told is the beeper sounds when engine is hot, can't be that as it sounds immediately when started. Also a couple times when I turned the key to off, the motor did not shut down. now it does work again. Also the tachometer shows 500 rpm with the key turned (off) and not running, and shows 12 volts on the sender pole of the tac, (gray wire) when i turn the key on, the tachometer jumps to 0 rmp's then does not read any rpm's when motor is running. If anyone could advise me I would greatly appreciate it. I was planning a fishing trip Saturday.
    THANKS,DENNIS
    Last edited by D.D.E.; 07-13-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fixed

That engine has it's own oil reservoir? It could be the low oil sensor went bad. I am not extremely familiar with your engine, but had a similar issue on a 1996 Merc 40hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUp7KJG_JWs
    Last edited by BlueWalleye; 03-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.E. View Post
    my warning beeper on control won't shut off. I was told it could be oil not injecting into motor, but their is oil smoke coming out prop exhaust. The other thing i was told is the beeper sounds when engine is hot, can't be that as it sounds immediately when started. Also a couple times when I turned the key to off, the motor did not shut down. now it does work again. Also the tachometer shows 500 rpm with the key turned (off) and not running, and shows 12 volts on the sender pole of the tac, (gray wire) when i turn the key on, the tachometer jumps to 0 rmp's then does not read any rpm's when motor is running. If anyone could advise me I would greatly appreciate it. I was planning a fishing trip Saturday.
    THANKS,DENNIS
    Check your ground wires, good chance one of the grounds for the console is bad.

G/fish

The lower oil sensor will cause this like stated below and usually derates the motor. Have you ran the motor past an idle in gear?

By the way I am not telling you to run it with a sensor buzzing just curious if you did. I had a oil sensor go out on the water once and the motor would only run 1000 rpms to get me back to dock. I just shut it down and got towed in. No sense ruining a motor. But it was just a sensor.

I have a 1992 75hp Mercury that had the same problem. I unplugged the sensor wire. Just keep an eye on the oil reservoir cause your low warning sensor is now disconnected. I did that 7 years ago and the motor is still running. I was told that is a common problem with that era motor.

Thanks everyone, I have several reply's and will get to work checking and trying the suggestions. This is a great site, and good people willing to help.
    Thanks again, Dennis

UPDATE;
    I disconnected one of the blue wires for float in injector oil tank. beeps stopped.
    Tack did not start working again, and i am still wondering why the key would not shut the engine down a couple times.

I ran a direct ground wire from battery to shift, throttle control. no luck.
    Last edited by D.D.E.; 03-25-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Check your PM's. I'll try to provide additional help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyfish View Post
    Check your PM's. I'll try to provide additional help.
    Thanks, Gradyfish; I am a rookie, this is my first boat, I do not know what the PM stands for, please explain.

Took it to the lake off Catawba, today, things have got to get better from here on, but we did not have to be towed and didnt get wet . i will count this as a good day, even if my son and i didnt catch anything.

Thanks Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    The lower oil sensor will cause this like stated below and usually derates the motor. Have you ran the motor past an idle in gear?
    Thanks for the reply, the beeping was the low oil sensor. i disconnected one of the blue wires it stopped beeping continuously. I ran it with water hose hooked up and had blue oil smoke coming from exhaust.
    I took it to lake today, it is not running very well, I stopped by a boat dealer after loading up on my way home, he said it needed a tune up to get all 3 carbs. adjusted, the linkage seemed ok. The guy i bought the boat from last fall (a dealer) put a new set of champion plugs it, the boat mechanic said today they must go and put in another brand.
    i will have to take it some where for the tune up i guess. i live 40 miles south of Port Clinton near Willard. do you know a good and reasonable boat mechanic in the area. i am retired and on a fixed income so i must do what i can when i can. I am NOT COMPLAINING just the way it is.
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis