perch bait perch bait perch bait perch bait
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: perch bait

Quote Originally Posted by leroy77 View Post
    Do you drain the 91% off, or freeze them in it. Thanks
    Leave them in the alcohol, they will never freeze firm. they do not have to be thawed to use as they come out of the alcohol one at a time and are not stuck together. When you put live shiners in the alcohol they die instantly almost like they were electrocuted.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks Wakina! Had not heard of the alcohol.

Better get another freezer Pauken so you got em when you need em. Mine still has a few bags of salted from last year, and a duck wing for training the hound. I get a few looks when guests see the bird wing in there.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    My wife would kill me if she stumbled in to minnows in the freezer ��
    Just tell her it's caviar for a friends cat.

Good to hear from you Mr. W. How's your back? I'm in a similar situation so I hit the Head Boat out of Sandusky. They tend to Perch sometimes more than Eye's. Call first to see what they're up to. And thanks for the advice on freezing in alcohol rather than salt!

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Leave them in the alcohol, they will never freeze firm. they do not have to be thawed to use as they come out of the alcohol one at a time and are not stuck together. When you put live shiners in the alcohol they die instantly almost like they were electrocuted.
    Have heard that putting them in the pink RV anti-freeze does the same thing.

Blog Entries

Go to Wal-Mart pharmacy dept. and get a bottle or 2 of the 91% isopropyl alcohol. When you find shiners buy extra and cure them right away with the alcohol. I have the bait store put them into gallon plastic bags with no water. I then put them into a colander and drain them of as much water as possible put them back into the gallon bags and cover with the alcohol and squeeze out most of the air. They will start to cure almost immediately in the alcohol. Just Ice them down for the day and put into freezer when you get home. they will not freeze but they stay nice and cold and firm. This method works with the golden shiners also. It is a lot cleaner and less messy than the salt routine, I think it does a better job also. I use old peanut butter jars to store them in while in the freezer for less chance of alcohol leaks.

Great idea thanks

Isopropyl alcohol is the same alcohol used in fuel additives to remove moisture from your tank and to prevent fuel line freeze up. It sort of dries(replaces) the moisture out of the shiners and also keeps them flexible but not mushy. I am not sure the pink anti-freeze would actually preserve shiners and it will get slushy in the freezer. I guess the only way to find out would be to try it and find out for yourselves.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Isopropyl alcohol is the same alcohol used in fuel additives to remove moisture from your tank and to prevent fuel line freeze up. It sort of dries(replaces) the moisture out of the shiners and also keeps them flexible but not mushy. I am not sure the pink anti-freeze would actually preserve shiners and it will get slushy in the freezer. I guess the only way to find out would be to try it and find out for yourselves.
    Welcome back W. Those bait stealers are going to be in a happy mood after two or three. I'm wondering if you kept the shiners in the alcohol and in the cooler all day if you can simply put the leftovers back in the freezer later or are they done for?

I dock out of east harbor.

Last week I went to a bait shop I won't name, and he wanted 5 bucks for a single scoop of golden minnows. Probably 2 dozen or so.

Minnows have been tearing up the harbor.

I put out a 4 foot seine with some homemade dough ball in it and caught a few hundred minnows, mostly emerald shiners, in the marina in about 20 minutes.

Now, I don't think that perch, when they are hungry, really care what species of minnow it is. But I will say that at those prices, if I can net my own... well the seine I had, but it would pay for itself if you had to buy one within 1-2 fishing trips, if there are minnows around. And if there aren't? Put a lantern over the side right near the water, just after dark, toss in some bread crumbs, and there WILL be.

If there aren't? Go find yourself some of the really small Mr. Twisters, with a really small hook threaded through them, and some tiny spoons. Put one on each end of a spreader, with a redworm or a small cut of night crawler to get a little scent in the water. Or a minnow sized piece of cut bait, if you want to buck the law.

I've gotten more perch on small spoons or rubber baits than I care to recount. Then there was the day I got my first 10 pound walleye on a boiling July afternoon, when I had put a small Mr. Twister on a zebco with 6 pound line, jigging, back in 97... trying for perch, which were hitting our walleye lures. I figured, let's target the perch, since they are biting. Plus that lure gives a good chance of hooking into a smallmouth.

If I do get a bunch of minnows, I usually cure the leftovers myself. Some salt and a little time in the sun. Not as productive as fresh bait, I grant you, but they do just fine. Keep them in the freeezer after they are dry. The leathery nature of curing and drying will keep them on the hook quite well.
    Last edited by jonk; 07-16-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Defernaut View Post
    Welcome back W. Those bait stealers are going to be in a happy mood after two or three. I'm wondering if you kept the shiners in the alcohol and in the cooler all day if you can simply put the leftovers back in the freezer later or are they done for?
    I put a days worth in to the cooler and then take them out a few at a time for baiting the hooks. Left overs that are still on ice are taken home and put back in the freezer.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS