I messed up BAD today I messed up BAD today I messed up BAD today I messed up BAD today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ouch...that's expensive...

I never depend on any counters. I use the "catch counter" to get me close to the number, but they are never perfect. Some slip through without triggering the counter, and some perch are so big they make the flap double count. I have been short and I have been over with the counters.

I ask customers to make sure the counter does the right thing when they put the fish in, but they don't always do that.

So, when I get close, I re-count them, so I'm never over when I go in to the dock. It's just my way of saving money.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

That's crazy... 3 0ver on a 90 limit! Why would he even count em. I have been checked in the east side 3 times. All 3 times they looked at the cooler and said looks good. Better use of tax payer dollars than counting out 90 fish.
    JBD's Regina Marie (Johnny Big Dawg)
    The Regina Marie: 2008 340 Sea Ray with Sportsman Package
    Twin 8.1L Inboards, Autopilot
    Rocket Launchers, Cisco Rod Holders, Scotty Downriggers
    Raymarine w/ Navionics, Radar, Rear TV to duplicate display or watch the game
    Sirius radio usually jamming Margaritaville

Quote Originally Posted by JBD's Regina Marie View Post
    That's crazy... 3 0ver on a 90 limit! Why would he even count em. I have been checked in the east side 3 times. All 3 times they looked at the cooler and said looks good. Better use of tax payer dollars than counting out 90 fish.
    Sorry, I disagree! The ODNR officers were doing the job the tax payers and license buyers hired them to do. The limit is 30 yellow perch and not 31. Just as the original poster stated, "I messed up BAD today". I didn't hear the original poster complaining about the ODNR, but instead he stepped up and admitted they were wrong and wants to never repeat that expensive mistake again.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

If it is on my boat as the captain I always count one more time before we head in. And yes we have been off a couple a few times.

I agree hole heartedly Wakina!! Couldn't have said it better myself!! 30 is 30! Not 31.

I have been checked 4 times this year by the game commission and even boarded by the coast guard for a safety check. I must say that they have been very polite and professional every time. They even explained to me what they expect and what they look for. I agree that they have a job to do and wrong is wrong. That's more than I can say about the local game warden(Columbiana county) that walked my 19 yr old son and I out of the woods at gun point for no reason last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Sorry, I disagree! The ODNR officers were doing the job the tax payers and license buyers hired them to do. The limit is 30 yellow perch and not 31. Just as the original poster stated, "I messed up BAD today". I didn't hear the original poster complaining about the ODNR, but instead he stepped up and admitted they were wrong and wants to never repeat that expensive mistake again.
    I appreciate that Wakina, and respect this and all your posts. I do believe Blatant violations should be dealt with aggressively much like a crazy driver putting others at risk on the road. But if people started getting speeding tickets for 3 mph over the limit I'm sure there would be an uprising.

many yrs ago we started to clean our fish and found we were 2 over on walleye. 2 of us wanted to throw them away but the other 2 said that would be a waste, so we kept them. we started cleaning fish and a car pulled up and it was a odnr person. he counted our fish and politely told us we was 2 over the limit. one guy started to get smart with the dnr guy. the rest of us told him to shut up, we were in the wrong. the dnr told us 1 of us would have to go with him and put up a cash bond. and said he knew it was a small infraction but it was an infraction. the capt of our boat said he would go with the officer. he had to pay 15.00 per fish and a 28.00 court cost cash bond. he said we didn't have to show up for court and the cash bond would pay our fine. he then said he was supposed to take all the fish for evidence, but that we had been so good about the whole deal he was just going to take the 2 fish that we was over. we split the 58.00 fine between the 4 of us. so that mistake cost us 14.50 each.

the guy that started getting smart with the officer wanted to show up for court and fight it. he said they didn't have any evidence. and that the officer probably ate the 2 fish he took from us. but we said that was stupid. it would cost more to make the trip up there than the price of the fine. and besides we were the ones in the wrong. the officer treated us with the utmost respect at all times. and we did the same to him.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    many yrs ago we started to clean our fish and found we were 2 over on walleye. 2 of us wanted to throw them away but the other 2 said that would be a waste, so we kept them. we started cleaning fish and a car pulled up and it was a odnr person. he counted our fish and politely told us we was 2 over the limit. one guy started to get smart with the dnr guy. the rest of us told him to shut up, we were in the wrong. the dnr told us 1 of us would have to go with him and put up a cash bond. and said he knew it was a small infraction but it was an infraction. the capt of our boat said he would go with the officer. he had to pay 15.00 per fish and a 28.00 court cost cash bond. he said we didn't have to show up for court and the cash bond would pay our fine. he then said he was supposed to take all the fish for evidence, but that we had been so good about the whole deal he was just going to take the 2 fish that we was over. we split the 58.00 fine between the 4 of us. so that mistake cost us 14.50 each.

the guy that started getting smart with the officer wanted to show up for court and fight it. he said they didn't have any evidence. and that the officer probably ate the 2 fish he took from us. but we said that was stupid. it would cost more to make the trip up there than the price of the fine. and besides we were the ones in the wrong. the officer treated us with the utmost respect at all times. and we did the same to him.
    I wasn't upset with the officer in the least, we made a mistake and obviously didn't click the counter 3 times. I have always in the past counted when we thought we were close. This time we didn't. accidental mistakes don't matter, 30 is 30.
    The D.N.R. works for all of us so we have resources for the future. I like that.
    This was the 4th time I got checked this year.
    Dennis
    P.S. If anyone feels sorry for me, send money
    Last edited by D.D.E.; 10-15-2016 at 05:47 PM.

We got checked a few yrs ago as we were pulling anchor to head in . WO counted and said we were 1 over . He just kept the fish and didn't fine us . Later while cleaning our fish we recounted and had 89 perch.