How to jig for spring walleye How to jig for spring walleye How to jig for spring walleye How to jig for spring walleye
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

will April 15th be too late for the jig bite?

Quote Originally Posted by jallen View Post
    will April 15th be too late for the jig bite?
    That should be right in the prime time of the bite, but water temps will be the finale determining factor!

what water temp you guys look for

Default H20 temp

41/42 degrees starts it off

Default Jiggin

I always jig into the drift....Two rods no minnows just a purple hair jig...Bounce one off the bottom and then the next...About 12 inches up then the other...You have a better chance of getting fish this way two rods can cover alot of water and fishing into the drift you have the first crack at any fish..I've taken my fair share of Walleye on the lake and this is what I have found works for me...

I dont normally buy any minnows neither, Im usually the first boat in the water at wild wings each year, I go straight out and shut er down, I use the purple hair jig three quarter ounce always no bigger no smaller, I cast a ways away from the boat, hold the pole fairly straight up and down give it a pop and feel for the fish to pick it up as it falls back down, keeping a tight line, drift is critical must go fairly slow sometimes using 4 drift socks as i have a big boat, I just work the jig back to the boat, however getting to the boat without a fish is real hard if you know what your doing practice makes perfect. All the reefs in the western basin holds fish in the spring they are the spawning grounds, jacks will be first, the hawgs stage out in deeper water till the right temp and at night they slip in lay there eggs and are gone, you will sometimes catch one of these beasts, but mostly male fish and this year they should be real big, I almost bet they will be in the 5-9 pound range this year most of em......hope this helps....tight lines

Default best ramp for the reefs

What is the best ramp or launch area to use that is closest to the reefs. I have used Turtle creek before, there are some small reefs there. Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by searay fisherman View Post
    What is the best ramp or launch area to use that is closest to the reefs. I have used Turtle creek before, there are some small reefs there. Thanks guys!!
    Your in the right spot. anywhere near turtle creek there are a few ramps right in that area.

Smile Ramp

I find it hard to beat fenwick because they have a fish filet station. Plus + + they sometimes have a real cutie at the gas pump. But i hav'nt been to lamberjacks ramp. Its all good

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Used Lamberjack's a few times, I think it is a buck or two cheaper than Fenwick and has a nice fish cleaning station. Not as crowded as Fenwick.