Boat Boat Boat Boat
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat

Jonk,
    Mike's dockside tuned our Thompson 240 years ago and we have had no issue ever since. The old girl purr's at low speed!

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I have a 94 Thompson 240. Not all Thompsons are created equal.

Some have a Mercruiser outdrive with anything from a wimpy 4 cylinder job to an adequate-for-calm-water 6 cylinder to a useful V8. Others have a Volvo Penta Duoprop outdrive with a 5.0 Volvo V8. Which is what I have.

Not the biggest V8, and it has the issue that it's hard to tune down enough to troll, but it certainly has enough power for the job. I've also gotten stuck out in 7-8 footers and other than being a miserable ride, never felt in danger. It was a solid no frills boat, that appealed to my folks when they bought it in that it had high gunwales and transom. Maybe it's a bit high to pee over the side, but I certainly appreciate that extra foot of sidewall over the sportcrafts and bajas and such.

I never knew it had issues with the stringers or transom; mine is sound enough, but then it was a generation later than yours, made right as Thompson was going under... dunno if they changed the design or not in the interim, but if it's a known issue, do check on it. Otherwise they are very solid and well made boats, and it's a puzzle to me why they went out of business.
    jonk;

I am apologizing to you for the dislike I some how applied to your post I quoted above! I am terribly sorry for the wayward finger that I applied. I only realized that I had disliked your post while I was checking my profile. Actually I think you made an excellent post as it was informative. Once again sorry!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    jonk;

I am apologizing to you for the dislike I some how applied to your post I quoted above! I am terribly sorry for the wayward finger that I applied. I only realized that I had disliked your post while I was checking my profile. Actually I think you made an excellent post as it was informative. Once again sorry!
    I hadn't noticed, but thanks!

I have an 1989 Thompson Fisherman 210 with 4.3 Alpha One Mercruiser. I did check stringers and transom. Put a new floor in it and all new upholstery when I bought it. It has been an outstanding boat. The 21 is plenty powerful enough, running 30+ on the Erie chop many times I have to back off. I have also done plenty of watersports behind it too when the family is with me. Just know what you're looking for condition wise, but Thompson's ride great on the lake. They also seem to be affordable.