Oct 21, 2015 Nearly 2 limits - Toledo Water Intake Oct 21, 2015 Nearly 2 limits - Toledo Water Intake Oct 21, 2015 Nearly 2 limits - Toledo Water Intake Oct 21, 2015 Nearly 2 limits - Toledo Water Intake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oct 21, 2015 Nearly 2 limits - Toledo Water Intake

We went out at about 8:30, fished between Little Cedar Point and the Harbor Light. We only caught 2 YOY Walleye. We heard some radio chatter about Yellow Perch at the intake, so we ran back to about 1.5 miles West of the Toledo Water Intake. We fished until about 2:00 and ended up with 57 fish. Thirteen pounds at the cleaners. We caught a total of 8 YOY Walleye. Walleye fishing should be awesome in the next couple of years.

That was the last trip out for the season. We're hauling the boat this weekend. Good luck to anyone still fishing, and thanks to those who post. It's nice to have a little bit of information before you head out.

I won't be fishing next year, but in 2017 we might dock in Port Clinton instead of Curtice. Mileage wise it's a wash, we'll be right between the two. Docking near the Portage River would put us closer to the reefs, but I would miss being close to the Toledo Shipping Channel. We used to fish the "Gravel Pit" in years past, but I don't hear much about it anymore. My biggest issue with docking in PC is cost. We dock at Meinke West right now for under $700/season. The marinas in PC seem to be priced higher. I like the location of Lakefront Marina, but I haven't looked into pricing yet. I'm guessing it will be north of $900 for a 27' boat.

Anyway, good luck to all, and stay warm this winter!
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

We are back the portage a few miles beyond the train bridge. Price wise it's great 350 a year. The river gives us a great place to cruise, tube, jet ski with the kids. In fact with our small boat and outboard or the skis we can make it all the way to oak harbor. I don't take my 27 ft back that far. Now the bad, water depth can be an issue at times, especially late in the year. I have seen it no more than a small trickle in the mud. Now more to pc not an issue. The other bad is the 20 minutes of idle each way from the train bridge to the lake.

So if we fished evert weekend what we save in dockage would tale more fuel and alot more time to the trip.

We are back beyond the rt 2 bridge, but the trip to the train bridge is only a few mins it'd the idle time through town that gets long. Just food for thought. I will be back where I am this year next.

Default Dock rental

I rent a 30 foot floating dock at Green Cove. It is 2 min to the lake at no-wake speed. Turtle reef is 2 to 3 miles ( I'm not near my GPS but I believe that is accurate). $550. Close to all reefs and the cans.

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    We are back the portage a few miles beyond the train bridge. Price wise it's great 350 a year. The river gives us a great place to cruise, tube, jet ski with the kids. In fact with our small boat and outboard or the skis we can make it all the way to oak harbor. I don't take my 27 ft back that far. Now the bad, water depth can be an issue at times, especially late in the year. I have seen it no more than a small trickle in the mud. Now more to pc not an issue. The other bad is the 20 minutes of idle each way from the train bridge to the lake.

So if we fished evert weekend what we save in dockage would tale more fuel and alot more time to the trip.

We are back beyond the rt 2 bridge, but the trip to the train bridge is only a few mins it'd the idle time through town that gets long. Just food for thought. I will be back where I am this year next.

The No-Wake zone would be a deal killer for me. I was even looking just past the draw bridge, and thought that might even be annoying. I work full time, so every minute is important. Right now we have about a 10 minute idle out from Meinke, and some days it seems to take forever! Also with the 27' boat, I'd be constantly worrying about the depth.

When we bought the boat it was sea trialed out of Happy Days docks, and we were warned to follow the channel markers very closely due to low water. I'm not real fond of the Portage much past the drawbridge!

Thanks for the info though!

Quote Originally Posted by papajoe View Post
    I rent a 30 foot floating dock at Green Cove. It is 2 min to the lake at no-wake speed. Turtle reef is 2 to 3 miles ( I'm not near my GPS but I believe that is accurate). $550. Close to all reefs and the cans.
    Green Cove is a possibility. We docked our 20' boat at Wild Wings one year. We were literally on the lake within 3 minutes of leaving the dock. It was nice. We were directly across from the green cove docks. One of my dislikes about that area is the lack of a convenient fish cleaner. If Happy Hooker cleaned fish, it would make it easier for us to dock there. I know Cutchers is somewhat close, but we lived West of there when we docked (I think it was back in 2008). We'll be heading toward Oak Harbor after next year, so Cutchers probably wouldn't be too bad. We're spoiled with Butch and Denny's right down the road from Meinke.

Past the draw bridge the middle is plenty deep, I know some of the marinas off to the side have stuff clearly marked so there so depth issue, but there are alot of big boats through there so it must not be too impossible. The idle from the draw bridge is only a few mins, I understand being busy. But. Close to everything means more money, so it's all a balance. I have family at wild wings, nice location, most of the time good water depth, they now have cleaners on site, but have never used them. Great place for the jug bite minus the traffic. Most places to get fish are normally not more than 8 to 10 miles. I think dockage there is around that 700 range.

Shatos(sp) is located next to Green Cove for fish cleaning. Pay 'em to do it or do it yourself at the table (with water) behind their place. BTW, the dock at Green Cove comes with a key for both fish cleaning stations located at the dock

Quote Originally Posted by papajoe View Post
    Shatos(sp) is located next to Green Cove for fish cleaning. Pay 'em to do it or do it yourself at the table (with water) behind their place. BTW, the dock at Green Cove comes with a key for both fish cleaning stations located at the dock
    I just googled Shattos. That must be the little cleaning shack at Wild Wings. When we docked there years ago, we were told a bunch of women were running it. We didn't hear too much good about it, but that was then. Hopefully they've gotten better, or now it's run by someone else.

Your deal at Green Cove is a Condo owner renting you his dock, right? I might have to post here when we're ready and see if I can find one for rent.

The wife and I plan on taking a marina tour next summer through oak harbor and port Clinton to see what everything is like, and what the prices are.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    Past the draw bridge the middle is plenty deep, I know some of the marinas off to the side have stuff clearly marked so there so depth issue, but there are alot of big boats through there so it must not be too impossible. The idle from the draw bridge is only a few mins, I understand being busy. But. Close to everything means more money, so it's all a balance. I have family at wild wings, nice location, most of the time good water depth, they now have cleaners on site, but have never used them. Great place for the jug bite minus the traffic. Most places to get fish are normally not more than 8 to 10 miles. I think dockage there is around that 700 range.
    We liked the location, but at the time it was a little further from home, and they had some funky rules. I don't know if they still have them, but back then they told us that we weren't allowed to spend the night on our boat. I had never heard of a marina doing that before. They said it was because they had trouble with partying.

We really liked our dock there though. We were right at the end with the Charter boats. Our boat was small enough at the time that we got the last dock in the row across from Green Cove. They even gave us a discount because it was kind of hard to get in there and nobody wanted it. I wouldn't try that dock with my 27 footer though.

The best part was how close we were to the lake. We were making wake within 5 minutes of shoving off.

Quote Originally Posted by sloch24 View Post
    I just googled Shattos. That must be the little cleaning shack at Wild Wings. When we docked there years ago, we were told a bunch of women were running it. We didn't hear too much good about it, but that was then. Hopefully they've gotten better, or now it's run by someone else.

Your deal at Green Cove is a Condo owner renting you his dock, right? I might have to post here when we're ready and see if I can find one for rent.

The wife and I plan on taking a marina tour next summer through oak harbor and port Clinton to see what everything is like, and what the prices are.

Thanks for the info!
    I dock there and also have one to rent. Let me know when you're ready.