Calling all casters Calling all casters Calling all casters Calling all casters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rickerd View Post
    I love casting too. Spent an hour Saturday night 5/28 casting with my 11 yo. We were just south of Clinton reef. We caught a fish almost every cast with harnesses. must have caught a dozen undersize walleyes though a couple were 15 inches. I like them a bit bigger since I have some if freezer already. Sunday morning same area to north of Catawba green can. We caught 40 walleye to keep 5 up to 18 inches. Harnesses and erie deeries pulled the meat. Then on Monday morning with my 16 yo, we caught 9 walleye in couple hours and let them all go. A few were 15 or 16 inches. So plenty of action right out of my harbor. Catawba Orchard Beach. The water was warm enough for tubing in the afternoons, so my whole family was happy.
    Rickerd
    Thanks for the update. Will be heading up to Marblehead tonight with my 2 boys and will try to get out tomorrow & Saturday - weather permitting. I will try to remember to post a report.

Good news, as I plan to go out casting this week... would prefer to catch a lot of fish and have to let them go than go all day and get squat.

I'll troll if I absolutely need to, i.e. if casting is unproductive, but it's a hassle to slow the boat down enough, and I really hate setting up all the gear. Not to mention, it's a lot more fun to reel in ANY walleye on a spinning real spooled with 8-10 lb line than to just drag one in on a big baitcaster loaded with 15-20 lb stuff, but especially a BIG one.

Fished the F and G can area Friday and Saturday morning drifting a harness close to bottom and casting gold mayfly rigs up higher. Friday was sunny and I had better luck on the harness near the bottom. I was off the lake by 11 with my limit of fish from 19" to 23" with probably 20 shorts. Saturday was cloudy and I could only fish until 9 and only got one 21" keeper but the shorts were in a feeding frenzy. I probably caught 35 shorts and a slew of farm animals and cats. Most were got up high at 10' or less Saturday. If it's action you want try this area before you troll.

Went out on Friday, took a friend. Fished South of F can and a bit to the West. Tried a couple miles North too. All together we caught 38 walleye. Of all of them only 5 made the mark. Those were two 18, one 20, one 23, and one 30. We caught them all on mayfly rigs in 20-22 fow except for the big one. We caught it towing a Purple Deep little Ripper 60 back on our way back East heading home quite a pig for sure. Probably caught 40 farm animals including farm felines, and too many white perch to count. 6 six white bass 4 small yellow perch. Very nice day to be on the water. I feel I am now a cross between a lobster, red beet, and a piece of jerky.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 06-05-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

[QUOTE=PZeiler;54546]I'm from the far west end of the lake. Fished Sunday right along the Michigan line. Casting gold and copper blades. Caught between 35 - 40 walleye and kept 7. Several of the throwbacks were 15" but I did not keep them for shrinkage. I need them to be 15 1/2 before I keep them. ODNR checked us as well. Fished 5 hours.[/QUOTE
    I personally don't keep any under 17". Those 15-16 " fish won't slawn until next spring.. keeping those are like killing middle school kids. Wish they would change the minimum size limit.
    Legal tho is legal.