Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Casting Report - 7/11/10

Fished NW of west sister in 28 ft water. Started at 7:30 and the morning started of with a bang with 4 fish in the cooler and 3 throwbacks in first 20 minutes. 1 hour later only 6 fish in the cooler. The little bit of breeze we had stopped and nothing wanted what we were offering. Fish 3 more hours without a keeper. We continued to catch a small fish here and there. Moved around the general area for some time. Then headed in closer east of gravel pit. The algea bloom was starting to cover the water in streaks. A light breeze started out of the south east. The fish started biting again - yellow perch, white perch, sheephead, catfish, and walleye. Ended the day with 11 keepers and 15 throwbacks. 2 keepers 24" - 25". All walleye, large and small were caught were on gold. Some of the Colorado gold blades that worked included, hammered deep cut #5, diamond cut #4, #4 baitfish with either a green or a brown/orange scale pattern. Nothing else work. Mark a lot of fish in almost every location. When we were cleaning the fish, they were all full of fat - so they have been eating good.

thanks for report

Not being from the area, but enjoying the reads…. and planning on next summer, when you and others talk about casting, it sounds like a spinner rig? Weighted in what manner? I don't see much of that on smaller lakes by me. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    Not being from the area, but enjoying the reads…. and planning on next summer, when you and others talk about casting, it sounds like a spinner rig? Weighted in what manner? I don't see much of that on smaller lakes by me. Thanks!!
    It's basically a Carolina rig. Egg sinker goes on the main line, tie on a snap swivel and attach your harness. Casting, bottom bouncing whole drifting or trolling are all going to use some variation of this setup. Casting harnesses are usually going to have an 18" leader, bouncer harnesses are generally 36" long and trolling can be 5-6' leaders. Usually casting harnesses are going to be a single blade, gold is always a good color to start with. Most commercially made harnesses are going to have two hooks (some have one, some have 3) and you put the noise of the night crawler on the front hook then put the second hook through its body. Make sure you straighten them out to get the best possible presentation and prevent spinning up of your line.

Mayfly rigs, more commonly known as "weapons", are going to be similar to casting harness. The exceptions are that you use a partial crawler, they usually have small (size 3 and under) blades, single hook and there's a bead tied into the loop and you put your sinker over the loop, the bead keeps it from sliding down to the blades. I'm not entirely familiar with weapon fishing, so hopefully someone else can add to and/or correct anything I've said.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    It's basically a Carolina rig. Egg sinker goes on the main line, tie on a snap swivel and attach your harness. Casting, bottom bouncing whole drifting or trolling are all going to use some variation of this setup. Casting harnesses are usually going to have an 18" leader, bouncer harnesses are generally 36" long and trolling can be 5-6' leaders. Usually casting harnesses are going to be a single blade, gold is always a good color to start with. Most commercially made harnesses are going to have two hooks (some have one, some have 3) and you put the noise of the night crawler on the front hook then put the second hook through its body. Make sure you straighten them out to get the best possible presentation and prevent spinning up of your line.

Mayfly rigs, more commonly known as "weapons", are going to be similar to casting harness. The exceptions are that you use a partial crawler, they usually have small (size 3 and under) blades, single hook and there's a bead tied into the loop and you put your sinker over the loop, the bead keeps it from sliding down to the blades. I'm not entirely familiar with weapon fishing, so hopefully someone else can add to and/or correct anything I've said.

Good luck!

Very cool… thanks for the info!!

We still use some erie deires on a few lakes at times, and do pretty well on them. Guessing we use them more than it sounds like they are used on the real "Erie" now. Funny how methods come and go.

The casting rigs, whatever you call them (weapons, mayfly rigs, etc) will produce better than the weight forward lures during the mayfly hatch (use one third of a night crawler). I continue to use them all summer fishing them like an Erie dearie on the swing.

I've heard guys mention the swing. Can someone explain that please?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wheezer View Post
    I've heard guys mention the swing. Can someone explain that please?
    Example would be if your boat is drifting sideways. You would cast your lure out the Stern/bow and count it down to the depth that you want, then begin your retrieve so the lure will come back to the boat in a semi circle sort of way(the swing). Your boats drifting action in one direction will be away from the original line to the lure created by casting out the stern or bow and the retrieving of the lure would produce the swing effect as the boat drifts away from that original line. This can be done to the same effect off of the sides of the boat also. Just cast at a right angle from your drift line.

So no matter how your boat drifts (many do not drift sideways) you can adjust your casting angle to accomplish the same affect that was described above.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-15-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks Wakina, one more silly question. Does that type of retrieve have an advantage over a straight in retrieve on the drift line of the boat?