New can of worms New can of worms New can of worms New can of worms

Exclamation New can of worms

My supply of last years walleye is almost depleted and I was forced to dig deep into my 20 cubic foot freezer and guess what I found? A full quart size freezer bag full of perch size walleye fillets sealed in ice with no air and no sign of freezer burn. I always date all my bagged fish whether they are frozen or not. The date read: 5/11/2012. I let the bag thaw over three days in the frig (just like a turkey). Tonight was the ultimate test. I opened the bag, drained out the water and with much trepidation stuck my nose in the bag. To my surprise there was absolutely no smell and the texture of the meat was normal. After dipping the fillets in Kikoman Tempora batter, I fried them on both sides to a golden brown in canola oil, drained them on a paper towel, splashed on some apple cider vinegar and a tough of salt and sat down to what can only be called your average gourmet fingerlicking good walleye fish dinner. I still cannot believe those fish were 4 years old. If I survive the night without food poisoning or other complications I'll get another fishing report out to you when it happens. In the meantime, how long have you guys kept fish in your freeze without them going bad?

I mark my bags as well, and try to rotate efficiently…. all mine are in freezer bags with water. Typically a year or less. That said, done the same thing you mentioned, and had the same results. Water with properly cleaned and quickly frozen fillets seem to last a long time in a deep freeze. I am assuming you will be alive and well to read this tomorrow.

He's Alive!!! or better yet, "I'm alive!" My wife and I both had dinner last night with no side effects and there is enough fish to repeat with a walleye lunch this afternoon. I too rotate the dated bags but somehow that one slipped thru the cracks. Cannot wait to start restocking after I ship a box of fillets I promised to my daughter in Colorado Springs. In the meantime I am adding artwork to some new Bandits I found at Fur Feather & Fin.

Blog Entries

Default Freeze them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    My supply of last years walleye is almost depleted and I was forced to dig deep into my 20 cubic foot freezer and guess what I found? A full quart size freezer bag full of perch size walleye fillets sealed in ice with no air and no sign of freezer burn. I always date all my bagged fish whether they are frozen or not. The date read: 5/11/2012. I let the bag thaw over three days in the frig (just like a turkey). Tonight was the ultimate test. I opened the bag, drained out the water and with much trepidation stuck my nose in the bag. To my surprise there was absolutely no smell and the texture of the meat was normal. After dipping the fillets in Kikoman Tempora batter, I fried them on both sides to a golden brown in canola oil, drained them on a paper towel, splashed on some apple cider vinegar and a tough of salt and sat down to what can only be called your average gourmet fingerlicking good walleye fish dinner. I still cannot believe those fish were 4 years old. If I survive the night without food poisoning or other complications I'll get another fishing report out to you when it happens. In the meantime, how long have you guys kept fish in your freeze without them going bad?
    Doctor, Yes it has been working for me since learning about that method many years ago. In the '70's we used to save and properly clean the paper milk cartons that had a "wax" coating, add the fillets, usually perch, top it off with water and freeze. I have used them 3 years later just as you did. As long as there's NO air in the container they last a long time. The only thing to watch out for is if the freezer had a mechanical breakdown and the foods had started to thaw and then be re-frozen. Your best tool was using your nose. These days we use freezer bags and I have my last 2 Lbs. of Perch to feast on from last Fall.
    If anyone wants to try this, just be sure to use plenty of water to 'insulate' the fish and be sure to squeeze out all the air. I let the bags set in a cardboard box so they'll take a sort of squared shape with a flat bottom until frozen. Then to save a little space I'll remove the box.

I had perch 2 wks ago 9-16-2013 they were good I vacuum seal all my fish.

I have vacuum packed some walleye back in may of 2006. I am using this for a experiment. Till today they look like the day I put them in the freezer. As long you get all the air out they will last a long time. Just the other day I had some walleye that vacuum packed in 2010 they were delicious.

Glad to see I'm not alone. As long as temperature is maintained and there is no air, who knows how long our fish might last. Out of curiosity how did you cook those antique walleye fillets? (always looking for new recipes)...

Dr. Ed no doubt you are alive. My grandmother showed me this at a very early age. She used the old milk cartons for sweet corn and a few other freezer items (Depression had a big influence on her life). We also, freeze our small game in water (rabbits, squirrels,doves,etc) takes a little extra room but lasts a long time. Also, if the freezer is not frost free is a big plus (no defrost cycle). I am definitely giving the Kikoman Tempora Batter a try.

On the antique fillets : If i have some big thick fillets i would do one of two things. First when i clean my fish i always take the mud vane out (we call it the zipper). Then when i fix the big thick fillets i would cut the down to 1" x 1" x 5 to 6" long and dry batter them and fry . Another way i would take the whole fillet and wrap in foil and put butter and little water and some little bit of lemon juice in also. And season to taste. Basically you are steaming the fillet in the foil. I put on the grill and let on for about 10 to 15 min. max . Both ways i have people ask me how good the fillets were and want more. By taking out the mud vane it takes the strong taste out .