Trolling rod help Trolling rod help Trolling rod help Trolling rod help

Default Trolling rod help

Hello all I have a question about trolling rods. I currently have shimano tdr med heavy 9 ft trolling rods. I wanted to go to 7 ft rods to fit in rod locker of my boat and make it easier to manage. I just got new rods in today, they are ugly stick big water 7 ft med heavy 1120. After unboxing I noticed that they are alot softer in the tip than tdr rods. Will this be a problem for pulling planner boards, and dipsys on occasion. Will this rod have enough backbone to land big fish or take the weight of planner boards. Any advice on this matter is appreciated.
    Last edited by weekendwarrior; 02-25-2016 at 07:07 PM.

The Ugly Sticks should serve you well. I run them inside my 8' and 9' rods and have never had any problems with them. The biggest problem I see when others are running dipsies is they don't reel in any slack before setting the hook and then after setting the hook don't take up any slack left over before getting the rod in a retrieve mode and applying moderate pressure. Reeling too fast can also loose you some fish and let the fish come to you. Don't reach or stretch. Use a long-handled net and scoop the fish nose first in one smooth motion. Note: Now is the time to sharpen all your hooks and check your sticks and cranks for damage and bent hooks. Starting with fresh line goes without saying. (I'll see you at Catawba in a few days...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    The Ugly Sticks should serve you well. I run them inside my 8' and 9' rods and have never had any problems with them. The biggest problem I see when others are running dipsies is they don't reel in any slack before setting the hook and then after setting the hook don't take up any slack left over before getting the rod in a retrieve mode and applying moderate pressure. Reeling too fast can also loose you some fish and let the fish come to you. Don't reach or stretch. Use a long-handled net and scoop the fish nose first in one smooth motion. Note: Now is the time to sharpen all your hooks and check your sticks and cranks for damage and bent hooks. Starting with fresh line goes without saying. (I'll see you at Catawba in a few days...)
    Thanks for the info....see you soon

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
    Thanks for the
    info....see you soon
    The BWD Uglys are great for downriggers. They bend way to much for dipsy or planer boards. I use the CAL 1100 ugly sticks for planer boards. They do not make those anymore. Maybe you could find some around yet. They were replaced by the GX2. For dipsy divers I like the okuma dipsy rods.

The ugly BWD are great for downriggers. They are way to soft of tips for planers and dipsy. I use the CAL 1100 version for planer boards. They do not make those anymore. Maybe you could find some still. They were replaced by GX2. I like the okuma dipsy rods. I have only used the okumas for salmon. They might be to heavy for walleyes.
    Last edited by Snowking; 02-28-2016 at 12:33 PM.

in my opinion they will work great for boards or dipsies. the softer tip will save you fish when catching larger fish with braided line. I use med/lt rods for my divers and they work great.