Walleye run Walleye run Walleye run Walleye run

Thread: Walleye run

Default Walleye run

Hey everybody-since hardwater season isnt optimal right now im looking forward towards the walleye runs. I posted about this back in the summer so I could stock up on gear but im posting about it again to see if anyone knows where to get good floating jig heads other than the normal stuff from northland tackle or maumee tackle. There hooks are painted very nice but im looking for hooks that fit the 1/2in gap limitation that are sturdy instead of the flimsyer hooks found in most stores. If anyone knows anything or if someone is custom making them with strong hooks let me know. Thanks and have a good one!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Try local supplier Jann's Netcraft in Maumee (formerly in Toledo).

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

Otherwise the usual Internet search, or try the ads in the Ohio edition of the Outdoor News, http://www.outdoornews.com/Ohio/ . You may find a printed copy at your local outdoors or bait & tackle shop.

Thanks for the response west basin- iv looked at janns netcraft and it looks like they only carry floaters with smaller flimsy hooks. If im wrong feel free to let me know as im totally speculating from a screen haha. Ill definatly check on ohio outdoor news. Thanks again and have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Waverider View Post
    Hey everybody-since hardwater season isnt optimal right now im looking forward towards the walleye runs. I posted about this back in the summer so I could stock up on gear but im posting about it again to see if anyone knows where to get good floating jig heads other than the normal stuff from northland tackle or maumee tackle. There hooks are painted very nice but im looking for hooks that fit the 1/2in gap limitation that are sturdy instead of the flimsyer hooks found in most stores. If anyone knows anything or if someone is custom making them with strong hooks let me know. Thanks and have a good one!
    The stout hooks you speak off are too heavy for a floating head.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Thanks bggeary- I had not thought of that and didnt know that was the case

I bought floating jig heads from Maumee Tackle two years ago and I had no complaints about the hooks. I will say that the experience can be very frustrating and downright dangerous if you don't take proper precautions. There are spots in that river that you'll be standing in a foot of water and you take one step and you're swimming. If you go, be careful and don't go in expecting a limit. You may get one, but they're not the rule like they're rumored to be.

Thanks hoytman-ive fished the run before,justnlooking for better hooks. Thanks for the info

I've been fishing the walleye run for 15 years or so and only buy floaters from maumee tackle and never had one break that I can remember. My 10 lb test breaks off first.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Maumee tackle sells both collared and non collared floaters in all different sizes. The ones with the collars are cheap and the collar always snaps off at the head. This causes you to change jig heads frequently. Either go non collared, buy somewhere else, or be prepared to switch jigs even if a snag doesn't break your line.

I met a guy last year that made his own from some sort of flimsy epoxy(?) and sold them fairly cheap down at the boat launch. The collars never broke. Wish I could find his card.

Thanks for the responses guys-iv expierienced the jigs from maumee tackle for awhile. I found some at cabelas that are big,fit the hook regulations, and have nice sturdy hooks if any of you are interested. I think i am going to try those this season