Water Temp & Spawn Water Temp & Spawn Water Temp & Spawn Water Temp & Spawn

Default Water Temp & Spawn

From what I understand, a water temp between 40 to 45 degrees is ideal to trigger Lake Erie Walleye to spawn. My question is, based on a reported temp of 34 degrees today in the western basin, and mild 2 week forecast (50's & 60's) how long would you suspect we have before they begin to spawn?

If my memory hasnt failed me, it seems like the spawn was pretty much over by the 2nd or 3rd week of April last year.

Given the fact that we had a much longer and colder winter last year; Im guessing this will be moved up a couple of weeks?

Thoughts? Comments?

The spawn happens basically the same time every year. Just figure on the first 2 weeks of April being the peak.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

42 degrees water temperature. This can vary up and down but for our latitude the main spawning event is near 42 degrees. Once the water temperature gets near 40 the fish are ready and waiting. If the temp gets to and stays at or is rising from 42 then the big spawn is on. The fish are in the area beforehand so fishing begins as soon as the water temps start rising from their winter lows and get near 40. There are always walleye around in the Lake Erie Western Basin, it's not like the rivers where there are only large numbers of walleye there in the spring. So you can fish for and catch them year 'round. They just concentrate on the spawning reefs and shoals once the water temps rise to the spawning temperatures. It only takes a walleye hours to swim a good distance to reach a spawning location, so the fish can be nearby quite a while before they actually go to and stay on the spawning areas.

It does appear, at this point because of warmer weather and less winter ice, that this year's main spawn will be in the early range, probably the first two weeks of April. Just keep a watch on the water temperature.
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-10-2016 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling and add info to question

This is my humble opinion based on many years of fishing lake erie. I believe that the older fish will spawn on or around March 23rd based on water temperature and moon phase. So if you are going to jig fish plan for that date. A crazy trolling bite two days later. The less mature fish will spawn on the next full moon on April 22nd so another great jig bite and two days later a crazy trolling bite. Weather patterns could affect this but I have seen this pattern over and over again over the last 30 years. Just so I am clear the is just my humble opinion and what I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    seen this pattern over and over again over the last 30 years. Just so I am clear the is just my humble opinion and what I would expect.
    Humble opinions with 30 years of experience have to be pretty valuable. Everything I have ever read ties those magic temps to the moon phase when they coincide… I'd take your thoughts as being very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    This is my humble opinion based on many years of fishing lake erie. I believe that the older fish will spawn on or around March 23rd based on water temperature and moon phase. So if you are going to jig fish plan for that date. A crazy trolling bite two days later. The less mature fish will spawn on the next full moon on April 22nd so another great jig bite and two days later a crazy trolling bite. Weather patterns could affect this but I have seen this pattern over and over again over the last 30 years. Just so I am clear the is just my humble opinion and what I would expect.

Great Information! Thanks for the input skipper - this is exactly what I was looking for.