Perch at Niagara. Perch at Niagara. Perch at Niagara. Perch at Niagara.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Maybe I try that spot this weekend

Anyone who heads to Niagara Reef should be aware that Crib Reef also has a Green Can marking it! Crib has a shallow spot that has ate more than its fair share of props and outdrives. Trouble is that the can is several hundred feet from the danger spot, the bouy tender cannot get close enough to the danger spot to place the Can on the danger spot due to the fact it requires more water depth than is available for it to get closer due to the amount of draft of the bouy tender.

Crib Reef is located South West of Niagara Reef and North West of D-Can inside the outer firing range(danger zone 2)! Please be careful if in the area around Crib Reef even though the area is more shallow and appears to be safe for travel, the danger spot just comes up out of nowhere. With the higher water level this year it does not present as big of a problem as previous lower water level years but can still do damage if one gets on top of it in a moderate chop.

Use the map in the link posted by Buc-Eye to get familiar with the area for your safety.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Anyone who heads to Niagara Reef should be aware that Crib Reef also has a Green Can marking it! Crib has a shallow spot that has ate more than its fair share of props and outdrives. Trouble is that the can is several hundred feet from the danger spot, the bouy tender cannot get close enough to the danger spot to place the Can on the danger spot due to the fact it requires more water depth than is available for it to get closer due to the amount of draft of the bouy tender.

Crib Reef is located South West of Niagara Reef and North West of D-Can inside the outer firing range(danger zone 2)! Please be careful if in the area around Crib Reef even though the area is more shallow and appears to be safe for travel, the danger spot just comes up out of nowhere. With the higher water level this year it does not present as big of a problem as previous lower water level years but can still do damage if one gets on top of it in a moderate chop.

Use the map in the link posted by Buc-Eye to get familiar with the area for your safety.
    I’ll echo Wakina’s sentiments regarding Crib Reef. The shallow water that’s relatively distant from its green can marker will leave you stranded in a hurry. I was popping jigs during the spring bite off Toussaint drifting with a S wind across the deeper channel up onto the S corner of Crib about 7-8 years ago. I knew about the danger but for some reason lost focus on my position/depth. I looked down in the water and could see boulders. That puckered my arse a bit with nearly a hard lesson learned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Perch at Niagara.-channel-reefs-jpg 

Blog Entries

Thanks guys for all the info about the shallow parts u night of just save some people some money and there boats

Buc-Eye, Would you mind sending me another copy of the map you sent me on 07-29-15? My efforts to save it only distorted it. It include Toussaint Reef, Crib Reef, various danger zones etc. Thank you.