Walleye Fishing with Garren and Roger King 9/10/14 Walleye Fishing with Garren and Roger King 9/10/14 Walleye Fishing with Garren and Roger King 9/10/14 Walleye Fishing with Garren and Roger King 9/10/14

Default Walleye Fishing with Garren and Roger King 9/10/14

I picked up Garren and his Father Roger this morning at the Super 8 here in Port Clinton at 5:45, and we drove over to Huron to launch. It was still dark out when we got to the ramp, but it wouldn't be long until it was light enough to head out the channel.

After installing the navigation lights, we launched and off we went to chase some early morning walleye in front of the "Sawmill".

I was hoping there would be some eyes in close today, because the wind forecast was calling for strong off shore winds that were to increase as the morning progressed, before the rain would show up.

As it turned out, the morning was really nice. The winds stayed down until about 10:30 then they started to pick up. But, it was still not bad inside where we were. We only fished from 6:30 to 11:30, because the radar was showing the storms moving in pretty fast, and it was showing lightning strikes. The decision was made to cut it short from an 8 hour trip to just a 5 hour trip.

As for the walleye fishing...We went 5 for 6. We would have had a "Fish Ohio", but their Capt.(me) accidentally got the hooks caught in the net and set the fish free!! I was livid, but they were very sweet about it and told me not to think twice about it. I felt so bad...it would have been the biggest walleye either of them have ever caught before. Well, in fact, all the fish they caught today were bigger than any walleye they've caught before...lol
    But, I really wanted them to have a picture with this one...sigh.

Garren kept saying things like, "We're just dumb hillbillies who like to fish, so we're having a great time" Dumb Hillbillies my arse! Garren is a very bright young man who served our country and did a job that involved working with lethal agents like Anthrax and the likes. No, "Hillbilly", doesn't suit him at all. He made me laugh all morning. And, his Dad was sweeter than ice cream with maple syrup and whipped cream! I loved these guys! It was just a really fun morning spending time with them in the boat.

We trolled with Deep Husky Jerks(12's) 55 & 65 back at 1.5mph in 26-28 foot of water, north of the hump that's there in front of Sawmill. We also had one bottom bouncer out with a crawler harness (#6 Colorado/copper color belly).

Neither of them had ever trolled with off shore inline planer boards before, so after a quick lesson, Garren was setting lines on one side of the boat, while I set the other side. Pops was in charge of the bottom bouncer, which was continually losing crawlers to those pesky little white perch. It did manage to catch one nice piggy walleye though, and made Pops very happy.

They are both very excited about coming back next year to try for some of the big walleye we are so blessed to have on this end of the lake during the spring season. I'll be looking forward to it too.

They were supposed to fish with me tomorrow too, but I sent them home due to the forecast of big winds out of the WNW...ugh.

My next trip is just a quick 4 hour walleye trip on Friday. We will be heading back to Huron to try out luck again.

Stay tuned!
    http://julswalleyefishingadvent.homestead.com/Blog.html
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 09-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Nice to see a walleye report! Too bad about the " one that got away" but it sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for posting!