(Sorry, I was too tired last night to blog, so I'm doing it this morning!)

Greg Companion, Ben Rewa, and Ben's Dad Denny met at my house at 6am. There was zero wind at my house, so I thought it was a nice morning. The marine forecast said "2 foot or less" for the day, but the wind website that I check said it would be blowing out of the NNE at 15 by 8am. That would be going against the current in the south passage and make it pretty rough...ugh.

After picking up minnows and hitting Mazurik's before sun up, I said we are going to wait till it's light out before we launch. The tree tops were blowing pretty good by then, and because of the wind direction, I was in no hurry to get on the water yet. These guys have fished with me before, and all own their own boats, so after discussing it, and checking the wind site (that said it would subside a little after 9am), we decided it was best to wait it out a little bit, and went and had breakfast first, to waste some time.

After breakfast, we went back to Mazurik's (8:30ish), but the lake was white-capping now, so I had the bright idea to head over to Catawba to launch, since it would be out of the wind, and I was told there was a good bite at the green can outside the launch over there. The guys were good with that decision. When we arrived, I was happy to see that there were about 25 boats out by the green can. I thought, "well, there must be a bite there if there are that many boats there this morning". But, wouldn't you know it? There wasn't....sigh
We launched and headed there....used the H'Bird to look for perch in the area, and didn't mark much. We didn't stay there and headed towards deeper water to see what was out there. We stopped and fished a little bit, and picked up sheep and white perch, along with a few small keeper perch.
It wasn't long before all the boats that were anchored by the green can picked up and moved to another location.

The lake was starting to lay down a little bit, so we headed north. I was heading to the NE side of North Bass when Ben wanted to stop on the south side of Green Island where a pack of boats were fishing. He asked, "are they just trying to stay out of the wind?" And, I said, "I think so". I asked, "Do you want to check it out?" And, he said, "Yes". So, we turned and headed towards the pack. We quietly motored around a couple boats on the outside of the pack and one of the boats gave us the signal that the fish were biting, and we should fish there.
Hitting the Spot lock, we started fishing. We gave it a 1/2 hour, but didn't have any better success than we did at our first spot, and I was ancy to get up to the NE side of North Bass where I knew there were some better sized perch. At least that was the case the other day. lol

After picking up and heading to the new area, we set up in 30' of water close to a spot I fished last week. We picked up some nicer perch than the first two areas, and at times I thought they were turning on, but it was just a tease....they would bite good and then it would be a white perch fest for the next 5-10 minutes...or, longer.

We managed to catch perch, white perch, huge white bass, sheephead and a catfish in that spot. While it kept us busy, it wasn't filling the cooler, so I said, "We should move again", and they agreed. We moved north to a little deeper water and set up over some marks that looked perch like. Unfortunately, it was the same thing....junk fish with a couple perch thrown in for good measure....sigh.

After another move, more junk and some perch, oh....and, another catfish...we moved to one last spot before heading in, as they were out of time.

We ended the day with only 50 perch to show for it, but the day on the water with these guys was fun! They have positive attitudes and great senses of humor, so even when the fishing sucked, they made it a good time. Although, Greg did whine a little bit when all the sandwiches were gone...hehehe...

So, a long story short....we should have just launched over at Mazurik's and rode out the rough waters until it subsided, because it turned out to be a beautiful day on the lake early in the afternoon, and my friends that went right instead of left all did pretty well south of Kelly's and out in front of Cedar Point. My numbers from a couple weeks ago are still going good too, according to a report from someone that fished them yesterday. I was SO close, but didn't go there, because a friend that was there two days ago said that that bite had died....ugh.

Oh well....sometimes you go left instead of right.....that's fishing. At least I know where to not to fish the rest of the week.

I'll see my funny guys back here in the spring, so it's all good.

The next trip is a two day walleye trip, so I'm looking forward to that. I love perch'n, but I need a change of pace, and trolling new waters will be just the ticket.

Stay tuned....
http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com/Blog.html