Ughh.....hard time catching fish. Frustrated Ughh.....hard time catching fish. Frustrated Ughh.....hard time catching fish. Frustrated Ughh.....hard time catching fish. Frustrated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ughh.....hard time catching fish. Frustrated

Ahhhh, I am so frustrated! First year fishing Lake Erie. Boat at Channel Grove. Read reports EVERY day. Started the year doing fairly well jigging, but things have gone to pot the last month or so. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Typically we fish around Kelleys, try to follow reports on location. Using Offshore boards, 18# mono, 24' Glastron WA, 200hp outboard, Lowrance HDS Gen 3 fishfinder, Lowrance autopilot, trolling bags to keep speed about 2 mph, although we have tried going slower (1.5) and faster (2.2). Just can't seem to get on 'em. Usually just two of us in the boat (me and my son), so we only have four lines in the water. We have tried:
    Bandits: every conceivable distance back. Anywhere from 40' to 120'. All off in-line boards.
    Spoons: off dipsy divers on the corners. Usually 22' back, 6ft 18# leader, #1 dipsy
    Worm harness: 40TT, in-line boards, 6ft 18# leader

I'm really not a fan of drifting/casting, so we are trying everything we can to learn to catch fish trolling. Usually out once or twice a week. I did recently get a set of big boards from Skipper9, still trying to get used to them. We are getting good at Offshore boards.

We live two hours from PC, so we usually get a late start (8am). But we are out ALL DAY and into the evening. Surely, we could catch something during that time. Saturday 6/18, got three shorts and lots of junk, so we are getting something, just not any keepers.

I readily accept ANY information, tips, tricks, or help you cam throw my way. Call, email, text, heck send me smoke signals......I am so frustrated. Jim (Skipper9) has been helpful, but I don't want to keep bugging him. Would love to meet and talk to others.

Tom
    [email protected]
    (330) 605-4837

Tom,

It's been a tough season for everyone, probably the toughest in a long time. With all the short fish in the lake it has flipped from lots of big fish last few years to lots of small fish. Good for future seasons but this one is probably going to be a grind the rest of the year. Sounds like you have all the tools you need and a great mentor. Keep experimenting with different combinations like you are where you will build some confidence. I think if you could add a third member to you crew so you could get 6 lines in the water it could help dial in what is working faster in the day. If you get something going move all your lines to that depth n color. Stop by the dock n say high if you see me there. Maybe I can help
    Pyle O Fish

Tom, I'm by no means a pro, but I suggest take more people. If you can run 8-12 lines then you can find what in your program is working and replicate quickly. I know for me sometimes it's depth, sometimes worms go, sometimes bandits. Sounds like you are doing everything right to start, it's just a matter of getting the first couple and dialing in what's working.

Best of luck.

Tom, I am docked in the Grove also, dock #14. More then happy to help out with anything I can. Stop by my dock sometime when I am there. I will be up there monday night for 1 week. give me a shout and will give you any info I can to help you out.
    Spoonfeeder, Capt. Larry Patterson. 4192356735.

Pyle O Fish
    What dock are you on? I'm on #51
    Would like to stop by and see you. You there evenings, weekends, daily???

Tom Hineman
    (330) 605-4837

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Pyle O Fish
    What dock are you on? I'm on #51
    Would like to stop by and see you. You there evenings, weekends, daily???

Tom Hineman
    (330) 605-4837

Tom 159 is our dock I think. On the middle peninsula .

I am there typically on the weekends . but also random days of the week.
    Pyle O Fish

I'm at dock 116 I think lol. Last peninsula by cleaning station. Have orange skip 9 big boards on top of sporty. We've been having decent luck casting so far but of course not today (one keeper and the wife caught it!). Will be switching to trolling gear soon but feel free to stop by information always available

Troy

echo try running your dipseys deeper...I mark fair number of fish close to bottem...ran my dipseys 75 back on # 3 setting today...we got 12 keepers today

Thanks for all the great advice and offers for help. I will definitely take you guys up on the offers. This is a great forum and great bunch of guys, and gals (Capt Juls)

talk to skipper 9 or take a learning charter hes the best friend you can have and he will help if he can and hes in your marina