Musky Musky Musky Musky

Thread: Musky

Default Musky

So while fishing out of Port Clinton Friday-Monday we caught 2 musky, both we small 22 and 28 inches. When we caught the first one I said from what I have read and been told there were not many in Erie and that we just caught found the needle in the hay stack. Then on Sunday we caught another one. So my question is was I wrong and catching them is common on the West end or did we just get real lucky? These were caught while trolling for walleye.

Also anyone ever catch any big ones? I'm guessing there has to be a few nice size ones in there swimming around.

Where were you exactly? Open water?
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

have heard more reports of muskies being caught in erie the last few years.Saw picture of one caught several weeks ago that looked close to 20lbs,but most are smaller.In the 30"-38"range.you are the first to catch two in the same weekend.Was reading an ogf thread on muskies and theories of why no big ones are caught.Most said gear we use not strong enough to bring in a big musky and the story of a big one breaking a line goes on and on.Still waiting to land first steelhead,let alone a musky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Where were you exactly? Open water?
    Both were caught on the NW side of Kelly's in 25-30 of water.

Want a steelhead? Go to Conneaut in the fall. You can catch them trolling in the basin, inside and outside the breakwall and up in the shipping channel. 1/2 oz KO Wobblers and hot n tots 80' back at 1.8 to 2.0 mph will get you silver bullets. $5.00 launch fee. Check with Jack at Snug Harbor for the latest or read my blogs on the central basin website.

I caught my first Steelhead 3 weeks ago on a harness on West reef. I now understand why you call them silver bullets. It was only a 22"er but wow what a fight. Jumped 5-6 times including once at the boat.

Musky catches are becoming more prevalent these days. All reported are caught by people fishing for other species. As far as a I know no one targets them on the main lake in the Western Basin. In my opinion these fish are filtering down from the Lake St Clair where there is a very good population of these toothy critters. Not many places in these parts can you go and actually target these fish and catch multiple fish each outing. I personally have had multi musky days on LSC while actually targeting them. If there are smaller fish around you can bet there are some brutes out there also, it's just a mater of time before some one lands one.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    I caught my first Steelhead 3 weeks ago on a harness on West reef. I now understand why you call them silver bullets. It was only a 22"er but wow what a fight. Jumped 5-6 times including once at the boat.
    I target these rockets on Lk. Michigan. Most fun of any fish I catch. Sometimes hit and are 5 ft out of the water before you can figure out which rod they are on. Lots of laughs when they're hitting good. Some real tackle destroyers.

Sorry to hijack the Musky thread. Not much experience with them. Only a couple accidental catches while bass fishing inland lakes.
    Last edited by Jawbreaker; 06-02-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Never landed one but I have hooked into what I THINK were muskies twice, big ones. Both times I was walleye fishing, and something that didn't feel at all like a walleye hit, and bit through the line. Both times I was using worm harnesses. Can't picture what else would bite through the heavy harness line like that. Could have been hog walleye that were just fighting strangely, but something toothy is out there anyhow.