Conneaut reports Conneaut reports Conneaut reports Conneaut reports
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Conneaut reports

After waiting 3 weeks for someone to post, I decided if I didn't say something you all might think Conneaut is dead to the fishing world and that isn't true. The fish are here. You just have to find them and I mean without running to the Canadian border. Within the last few days I am catching nice fish north between the 05 and 06 and west from the 44 to the 36. The marks are sporadic but when you find them you can get lucky. I'm running shallow Bombers behind Dipseys out 100' to 200' on a 2 setting and Thundersticks on 12 lb. SS line back 250' to 345'. The last fish I netted was only 5.5 miles almost due north of the harbor. That is my report. Where is yours???? FYI: Sunday there had to be 400 trailers around the ramp belonging presumably to perch fishermen because where I was I could only see perhaps a dozen boats. Was one of them you???

great report dr ed. glad to hear your catching fish.

I figured everyone had given up in the central basin...I have been picking away at the walleye a little bit at a time, just enough to keep me interested but not enough action to make me happy. This past weekend was the best fishing I've had so far this season. Sunday I set up east and slightly north of the second perch pack in 64-72' of water and trolled to the pa/ohio line, circling back and forth through the pockets of fish that I was marking. Most of the eyes that I got came off of a lipstick 800 reef runner on the down rigger, 30' lead with the ball at 50', the others were off of willow bladed harnesses behind a #1 dipsey at 160 back on a 3 setting. I ended up with 8 walleye, which I didn't think was too bad since I spent a couple of hours perching before I set up for the eyes. We lost 5 behind the boat about 10' out of the reach of the net and had at least that many pop the dipsey and get off before we even had a chance at them. The ones that we got were all pretty nice fish, 2 over 30", one at 29" and the rest in the 22-27" range. I'll be back at it again this weekend with more lipstick RR's to throw at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullship View Post
    I figured everyone had given up in the central basin...I have been picking away at the walleye a little bit at a time, just enough to keep me interested but not enough action to make me happy. This past weekend was the best fishing I've had so far this season. Sunday I set up east and slightly north of the second perch pack in 64-72' of water and trolled to the pa/ohio line, circling back and forth through the pockets of fish that I was marking. Most of the eyes that I got came off of a lipstick 800 reef runner on the down rigger, 30' lead with the ball at 50', the others were off of willow bladed harnesses behind a #1 dipsey at 160 back on a 3 setting. I ended up with 8 walleye, which I didn't think was too bad since I spent a couple of hours perching before I set up for the eyes. We lost 5 behind the boat about 10' out of the reach of the net and had at least that many pop the dipsey and get off before we even had a chance at them. The ones that we got were all pretty nice fish, 2 over 30", one at 29" and the rest in the 22-27" range. I'll be back at it again this weekend with more lipstick RR's to throw at them.
    I don't know where the fish are now but when we were up in july most fish was being caught in the top 40' of water with some big fish coming off the riggers at 50'. most of our fish came off lite bite slide divers set on 4.5 (which would be about a 3 on a dipsy) out 130'. others I talked with were getting fish with a 3 setting at 100' and 120'. so you might want to try a shorter lead on your dipsies and just see if your catching anything. if not you can always set them deeper.

Quick update. Yesterday I found the fish along the 36W to 32W and from the 04N out to the 07N. Small shallow diving Bombers in bright colors back 180' on a 2 setting Dipsey. One Fish Ohio taken on a Rainbow striped Deep Thunderstick on SS wire back 345' right on the 07N line. Caught a feisty 22" Steelhead on a gold Stinger Bumblebee off the rigger down 45'. Much fun on light tackle. Taking the latest eyes to my daughter in Colorado Springs next week so entertain yourselves and feed the fish until I return...Sorry to interrupt your train of thought but yesterday was just too nice a day to pass up and being Sunday (I consider Lake Erie my church) I decided it would be time well spent and I was right. Tried running the OH-PA line without a hit so I ran over to the area I have been having success and I found the fish. Between the 05N and the 06N and the 36W and the 38W I pulled 5 really nice eyes (2 Fish Ohio) using wire line back 333' and 345'. The best lure was a Deep Thunderstick (#599) with a red head and chartreuse and silver body at 2.0-2.2 mph. It was not my presentation of choice but a lot of the charters use nothing but so I gave it a shot. It worked. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow...and the choir sang "Amen."
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 08-24-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Current info

I'm back from Colorado. The devastation from the fires is overwhelming. My day was cut short with a broken radio antenna. You should never be on Lake Erie without a radio. From what I saw the only walleye there were the frozen filets I took with me. As to the walleye they are just north of the perch pack along the 05N line but just try and get them to bite. I caught 3 and that is more than I saw or heard about.

Tomorrow I am breaking one of my cardinal rules: Don't fish on a holiday weekend. The reason is I found some walleye yesterday and I am way behind on filling my freezer. I will be in line at the Conneaut ramp about 5:30 am. Jack at Snug harbor told me I will be late. He says the rush starts at 4:00 am. I will be on Ch.14 thanks to my new antenna if you want to share. I will call every fish I put in the boat and how I caught it but I won't tell you where I am until I am ready to leave. Fair enough?

Looking forward to your report ! Only made it up once this year due to....... life. Hope to get there once more (dreamin ). But , reports are the next best thing. Hope your slayin them !

Quote Originally Posted by gizmos View Post
    Looking forward to your report ! Only made it up once this year due to....... life. Hope to get there once more (dreamin ). But , reports are the next best thing. Hope your slayin them !
    I always like reading his reports. im done fishing erie until next july so reaing reports posted by others keeps me going.

Why leave the area so soon? The walleye are still biting and the steelhead fun is just beginning, especially if you know how to troll the shipping channel and the breakwall.