Line choice for jigging Line choice for jigging Line choice for jigging Line choice for jigging

Default Line choice for jigging

I'm sure this is been discussed before but wondering if anyone has seen a difference in success with the color of line they are using? I've seen everything used and not sure I have noticed a difference in catch rate. I know it probably depends on the water clarity. All you veterans let me know thank you.

I've used the smoke colored fireline for years and it seems to blend in well in all water conditions. Probably just boils down to personal preference but I like the 'feel' of the fireline. I can tell if my jig is on mud, sand, gravel or rock and the slightest little tick is detected. I use a 6ft med/hvy St Croix rod.

Quote Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
    I'm sure this is been discussed before but wondering if anyone has seen a difference in success with the color of line they are using? I've seen everything used and not sure I have noticed a difference in catch rate. I know it probably depends on the water clarity. All you veterans let me know thank you.
    I like the fireline too it has no stretch and this helps feel light hits and pickups. I also use clear fluorocarbon line 8 pound. It also has no stretch but it is invisible in the water.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Any of the name brand Braids work well for jigging. Color does not seem to be a factor while jigging either. A warning here is if you buy Any Fishing line off of E BAY and especially braid, make sure it does not come from a China seller or any Asian seller for that matter, the China/Asian sellers package their cheap knock off line in authentic looking packages but it is of inferior quality, the braid is most often sold under the Power Pro brand name BUT IT IS NOT POWER PRO.

If you are like me and troll with braids then you probably have some 30# braid 8# mono diameter or 40# braid line 10# diameter left over from filling your trolling reels. It is just fine to use that to fill your jigging reels or perch reels as well. The line diameter is that of the commonly used mono diameters and it also gives you the added advantage of the no stretch qualities of the smaller # test braids with out having to buy new line just for jigging or perch fishing. There is nothing wrong to purchase lighter weight braid if that is your wishes but the use of the new leftover braid does give you another option. Remember to set your drag like the line is only 8 lb line and you will be fine.

I do suggest that you add a piece of mono or floro leader a few inches long at a lower # test wt. than your main braided line to attach your jig, it makes a weak link in your setup that will be easier to break off if your jig gets snagged on one of the rocky reefs as well as it hides a colored braid if you use that. That would apply to any wt braid that you use, it just make things easier than trying to break braided line.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-12-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

10lb power pro

Great info guys. Looks like Im on the right track with the braid and a flouro leader.. thanks again for the great pointers

It does not matter what your main line is. What matters is the flourocarbon leader. It makes a huge difference. ALSO. I use a barrel swivel 4' up. It removes line kink. Net Net. 4' floro leader connected to main line with a good barrel swivel. Get the net. :-)

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Any of the name brand Braids work well for jigging. Color does not seem to be a factor while jigging either. A warning here is if you buy Any Fishing line off of E BAY and especially braid, make sure it does not come from a China seller or any Asian seller for that matter, the China/Asian sellers package their cheap knock off line in authentic looking packages but it is of inferior quality, the braid is most often sold under the Power Pro brand name BUT IT IS NOT POWER PRO.

If you are like me and troll with braids then you probably have some 30# braid 8# mono diameter or 40# braid line 10# diameter left over from filling your trolling reels. It is just fine to use that to fill your jigging reels or perch reels as well. The line diameter is that of the commonly used mono diameters and it also gives you the added advantage of the no stretch qualities of the smaller # test braids with out having to buy new line just for jigging or perch fishing. There is nothing wrong to purchase lighter weight braid if that is your wishes but the use of the new leftover braid does give you another option. Remember to set your drag like the line is only 8 lb line and you will be fine.

I do suggest that you add a piece of mono or floro leader a few inches long at a lower # test wt. than your main braided line to attach your jig, it makes a weak link in your setup that will be easier to break off if your jig gets snagged on one of the rocky reefs as well as it hides a colored braid if you use that. That would apply to any wt braid that you use, it just make things easier than trying to break braided line.
    Wakina what set up are you using for jigging reel -pole -line thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdff21 View Post
    Wakina what set up are you using for jigging reel -pole -line thanks
    My jigging setup is a Falcon BuCoo - 6' 6" Med action rod paired with a Daiwa Fuego 2500SH spinning reel spooled with (don’t laugh) 30# Western Filament blue Tuf-Line XP braid which is like 8# mono in diameter and was left over from filling trolling reels. I love the rod and was fortunate enough to have had a friend that worked for the rod manufacturer and got it and 2 Ultra Lights that I use for perch rods at his cost & they are all American made to boot. I can’t give you any testaments on the Daiwa reel yet as it has not been used and was bought over the winter to replace a Cabela’s Tournament ZX reel that finally died after a long fish catching career.

I do not care for the Power Pro Braid as I feel it is to flat and allows the line to cut into itself on the spool to easily causing head aches to happen and cuss words to be spoken. Now with that being said, I do think Power Pro is a very good line for those who don’t have those problems. All of the legitimate spectra lines are made under the Honeywell patent who discovered the material so they are all strong and meet the breaking strength and the no stretch qualities the spectra lines are noted for. The only differences are in the actual manufacturing as to how they braid the fibers together. I do use an 18" leader of 10# mono to attach the jig to the main line as it helps with stealth if that is even necessary and provides a weak link in the rod to jig that can be broke off instead of running over the reef with the engine running.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks Wakina for the advice it helps me out alot to be on the right track i will be out there 3/22 and see how i do it will be my first time out on erie all set op with the ugly stik with okuma cw303d now i will get my jigging set up thanks again