Fall fishing Fall fishing Fall fishing Fall fishing

Thread: Fall fishing

Default Fall fishing

Hello, I'm a newbie looking for some help and advise. I’ve always fished Erie at the end of May and beginning of June. In addition to my normal time of year, I’ve got my sites on a late October trip. Not sure where I should post this to, western or central Erie. I’m looking for recommendations on what to troll, and what size baits to troll. I’ve read on the Husky Jerks, Reef Runners, sounds like bandits are the ticket this year. What’s your guys favorite size and color? What bait is it that you don’t want to go out without? Do you guys troll spoons in the fall? I’m set up with cannon boards and Big Jon troll mast. I usually troll spoons and crawler harnesses. Is Huron the ticket for the fall? Western Basin? Looking for recommendations for lodging also. I'm planning on fishing 3-4 days. I've stayed at Camp Perry twice this year. I’ve stayed at Little Joes also. If I have to trailer the boat a few miles every morning, it’s not a big deal. I’m familiar with launching at Wild Wings, Catabwa, and Mazurik Any recommendation, I thank you for in advance. I can not wait!! I just want to be thoroughly prepared for this trip, well as much as possible.

Congo

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Hello, I'm a newbie looking for some help and advise. I’ve always fished Erie at the end of May and beginning of June. In addition to my normal time of year, I’ve got my sites on a late October trip. Not sure where I should post this to, western or central Erie. I’m looking for recommendations on what to troll, and what size baits to troll. I’ve read on the Husky Jerks, Reef Runners, sounds like bandits are the ticket this year. What’s your guys favorite size and color? What bait is it that you don’t want to go out without? Do you guys troll spoons in the fall? I’m set up with cannon boards and Big Jon troll mast. I usually troll spoons and crawler harnesses. Is Huron the ticket for the fall? Western Basin? Looking for recommendations for lodging also. I'm planning on fishing 3-4 days. I've stayed at Camp Perry twice this year. I’ve stayed at Little Joes also. If I have to trailer the boat a few miles every morning, it’s not a big deal. I’m familiar with launching at Wild Wings, Catabwa, and Mazurik Any recommendation, I thank you for in advance. I can not wait!! I just want to be thoroughly prepared for this trip, well as much as possible.

Congo
    I can't answer all your questions but I will touch on a few.

Where to start
    Many of the charter captains move their boats to Vermilion at Fall time.
    The central basin comes into its own as Walleye move back towards their spawning grounds in the Fall.
    Vermilion is pretty central to the area and the launching facilities are ok.

Baits
    Worm harnesses, ReefRunners, Bandits, Perfect 10's and Stinger Spoons all catch fish.
    Don't be afraid to tip a stick bait with an inch of worm on one of the hooks, often can get a bite.
    Our main go to is to always try at least 1 worm harness and 1 spoon to see if they work whilst at the same time pulling a couple of ReefRunners.

Colors
    With Harnesses, Purple and Pinks always seem to catch fish when no other colors can.
    With ReefRunners we always run Bare Naked, Green Flash and Barbi.
    If those colors fail, we try every color we have in the box ... And we have a lot in the box .... Lol

Hope the above is helpful.
    Roy Page
    Morning Mist II - Pursuit 3000 Express
    Call Roy Page on Channel 79
    Vermilion Ohio
    YouTube Walleye Fishing Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EdlWtjSet3fYh9

Hi Congo,
    I fish mostly out of Walnut in Fairview Pa., I think this is a little more East then you're thinking in October. I've fished up until September very good results in years past.

As Roy stated: Number one bait I wouldn't leave the dock without are harnesses. Purples, Pinks, and Raspberry are my favorite.
    20' Sea Ray

Roy and Skinny,
    Hey, thanks for all the info. I truly appreciate it. I do my own crawler harnesses and have a zillion of them. I'll make sure I'm fully stocked up on the Purples, Pinks, and Raspberry. Spoons I'm stocked on. Sounds like I will start collecting ReefRunners, Bandits and Perfect 10's. Is it a fair assumption, that I won't see the boat traffic like I do in the spring? Should I expect a lot of sheep and white perch/bass? Bait thieves.
    Thanks again

Congo