Question:  Has anyone ever tried including a flasher when trolling for Walleye? Question:  Has anyone ever tried including a flasher when trolling for Walleye? Question:  Has anyone ever tried including a flasher when trolling for Walleye? Question:  Has anyone ever tried including a flasher when trolling for Walleye?

Default Question: Has anyone ever tried including a flasher when trolling for Walleye?

Just curious, since I saw flashers advertised by the Walleye Tackle Store.

I know flashers are used when trolling for salmon or steelhead, but i have never been trolling for them. ( have seen the rigging on boats in northern Michigan.

I could see where they could be hooked 4 or 5 feet in front of the lure when using down riggers, but not sure where there would be room when using jets or dispseys to achieve the depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Just curious, since I saw flashers advertised by the Walleye Tackle Store.

I know flashers are used when trolling for salmon or steelhead, but i have never been trolling for them. ( have seen the rigging on boats in northern Michigan.

I could see where they could be hooked 4 or 5 feet in front of the lure when using down riggers, but not sure where there would be room when using jets or dispseys to achieve the depth.
    I heard one of the Yakima pro staffers talking about running their Big Al's 4" flasher for walleye. Never tried them myself. I know the staffers are in the business of selling the sponsors product, so I don't run out and buy all the recommended products. Not saying I won't buy one to try, just not yet.

I've tried numerous times running large spoons as flashers ahead of cranks and spoons for walleye. No real success for me (never a hot bite day using this method). Sometimes using the small squid flashers worked but not very often. Not worth the effort for me anymore. I don't believe walleye react the same as the oilers.
    You leader length becomes real long when using them.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I have used small spoons ahead of other lures on many occasions for walleye, now I can't say that the method was a success of not, have caught some that way but also caught some without the added spoon. I look at it this way is your having a slow day why not give it a try....what have ya got to lose?

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by airshot View Post
    I have used small spoons ahead of other lures on many occasions for walleye, now I can't say that the method was a success of not, have caught some that way but also caught some without the added spoon. I look at it this way is your having a slow day why not give it a try....what have ya got to lose?
    Don't you think it might be better to try that addition when you're catching fish? You know, to see if it makes the catch ratio go up? If you're having a slow day & try that what's the point? You probably weren't going to catch anything extra on that given day anyway. Try it when they're hitting & see it it works for the better. Not on a bad day when it might not make a difference what's in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPNLIP View Post
    Don't you think it might be better to try that addition when you're catching fish? You know, to see if it makes the catch ratio go up? If you're having a slow day & try that what's the point? You probably weren't going to catch anything extra on that given day anyway. Try it when they're hitting & see it it works for the better. Not on a bad day when it might not make a difference what's in front of them.
    Next time I am catching so many Walleye I am bored and willing to screw it up, I will try flashers. NOT. Maybe we will be lucky enough with all of gee short fish next year to try new things.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPNLIP View Post
    If I were a real serious walleye fisherman I just might try that but for me and my family walleye fishing is just killing time until perch fishing season starts. When I walleye fish I am just enjoying the day on the water, if I catch some fish then great, if not then OK as well. Just can't see spending hundreds of dollars in tackle to catch a few fish when I can catch many perch for only a few dollars worth of tackle. The family prefers the perch on the dinner table over the walleye so....as I said walleye fishing is just killing time till perch season turns on!