Shiner bucket temp Shiner bucket temp Shiner bucket temp Shiner bucket temp
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wow that's interesting Matt. Have to give that a try.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

That is exactly what I do as well, no need for a live well of any kind at all, I've been doing this for three years now and would never even consider going back to a live well, and let me say as well when you have to use the Goldies, they actually turn to a lighter shade and look very much like a lake shiner , this method works well, so simple,

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Okay... I'll tell you my secret, and everyone can tell me that I'm nuts. But I dare you to try it.

I go into the bait store with a ziplock bag and gets my scoops of minnows put right into the bag. No water.

-Maty
    Yep...good advice! I've done this a time or two and it does work great!
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Okay... I'll tell you my secret, and everyone can tell me that I'm nuts. But I dare you to try it.

I go into the bait store with a ziplock bag and gets my scoops of minnows put right into the bag. No water.

The bag goes into the cooler with the ice. The minnows die. But they are on ice and they stay bright and shiny, and firm. In fact I will go as far to say they they are more firm than a live minnow. They will keep their scales and stay as bright as the live ones.

I don't have to scoop any minnows out of the bucket. In fact, I take a Wet towel and put it on the side rail of the boat, put a handful of minnows in it with a couple ice cubes and fold the towel over. The ice slowly melts and the towel stays ice cold, and when you have up and down action you never have to bend over for minnows.
    The bait shop guys tell me that the only customers that get their minnows like that and put them on ice are the old timers... Which is where I learned it.

To each his own, especially when it comes to fishing.

-Maty
    X2, It is easiest way to keep them fresh.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I only use frozen shiners and don't have any problem catching limits. Good thing is each person can take a small container of frozens and keep them close for fast baiting. I gave up on trying to keep them alive years ago and I'm much happier!

Lol... I expected a few people to tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about. I never expected the next 4-5 people to post to agree and say that is how they did it too! Especially the long time contributors and captains in here. Great minds think alike!

-Matt

Ok Matt, you don't know what you are talking about! I don't want to disappoint, but I am trying that out next trip. Too many yea's not to. ty
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

If you go east towards bula or conneaut it seems most places only ever have zip lock bags of minnows . $10 a bag 2 weeks ago , lol

Quote Originally Posted by daleho10 View Post
    We just caught 5 limits in 2 hours using emerald shiners cut in half. How important is live minnows?
    When a shiner dies it turns bad real fast and can kill the other minnows. By fast I mean within minutes they start to decompose unless they are kept ice cold. I use a frabil aerator bucket and have for the past 15 years. Threw out the battery powered pump and use an aquarium pump with a 110 v converter. Pump cost less then 10 bucks, converter is a small one cost was 18 bucks and has lasted for more than 10 years. Throw a small handful of ice from the fish cooler every now and then and still have fresh lively minnows when I get home so they freeze better. At the end of the season if I have any left over frozen minnows I use them to feed the fish in my pond, those big bass enjoy the left overs from perch season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Ok Matt, you don't know what you are talking about! I don't want to disappoint, but I am trying that out next trip. Too many yea's not to. ty
    Take at least 2 bags with you. Put a couple of dozen in a bag and keep on top of the ice for easy access for bait while fishing and then bury the other bag with the rest of the shiners completely within the ice with only the top of the bag(s) sticking out of the ice for easy recovery. Adjust the number of minnows in the bait bag accordingly with the rate of the bite. The colder they are the longer they last. The minnows on the top of the pile in the bait bag will be the first to go bad. If that happens either wash out the bait bag or change it as the slime from the bad minnows will do the same to the good ones.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip