Lowrance structure scan transducer for high speed???? Lowrance structure scan transducer for high speed???? Lowrance structure scan transducer for high speed???? Lowrance structure scan transducer for high speed????

Default Lowrance structure scan transducer for high speed????

Ok,

So I'll be honest up front so as to hopefully spare myself the beatings from the galley. I have not done a tremendous amount of research on this yet, so hopefully you guys that have already gone thru this can offer up some suggestions. I am struggling to see "fish" at higher speeds when running across the lake. I have a Ranger 620 with HDS Gen2 units and structure scan 2. I had the marina install this and never did get more than a crash course on how to operate and set things up. I am still working to become more proficient with settings and adjustments and have 20ish garage hours on the electronics so far. I have watched Doctor Sonar videos, youtube clips and read numerous articles and should have the basics covered (but maybe not), but still struggle to "see" more than tiny, thin vertical blips over 15-20mph. I fight to identify fish versus distortion and then have to drop off plane to confirm what I thought I saw. I believe I understand the principals of the arch seen on screens and the fish enters and exits the cone, showing stronger signal strength in the middle therefor the arch, but can I reasonably expect to see any form of an arch at 45-50mph?

I have heard some people say that they ended up installing a high speed thruhull transducer such as an Airmar to show more of a mark at higher speeds and gain the detail that I think i want and need. I was told by the marina that the structure scan ducer is capable of showing marks at speed, assuming the units are setup properly and scroll speeds adjusted etc. unfortunately I was also recently told by an individual at a Cabelas (yes he worked there) that them Rangers have the transducers built into the hull already.............so you can see my confusion.

Is anyone else running with the structure scan as their primary transducer at higher speeds, and can shed some insight on setups? If anyone has installed a high speed transducer in conjunction with a structure scan ducer to help with what i am describing then I'm all ears as well.

Thanks for any help, and please keep the laughter to a minimum.

Chris
    Last edited by igotgills2; 11-19-2013 at 09:05 AM.

basser53 Guest

Default structure scan

With my experience the structure scan it is only designed to be of use when at low speed.[searching or trooling speed] I use lowrance hds 7 touch and have the transducer mounted on the bottom step of the hull so when i'm on plane the ducer is out of the water anyway.check, lowrance.com web site or call.