Kelley Island Kelley Island Kelley Island Kelley Island
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelley Island

Default Kelley Island

Has anyone made it out around Kelley's yet thinking about coming up first part of April and putting in at Kelley's any suggestions on Jig or trolling around the Island usually get out to 20' to 30' depth range.

Quote Originally Posted by bevardjesse View Post
    Has anyone made it out around Kelley's yet thinking about coming up first part of April and putting in at Kelley's any suggestions on Jig or trolling around the Island usually get out to 20' to 30' depth range.
    Buddies who live on the island got out last week a couple of times. 2 miles north of the state park. Picked up a few jiggin' pimples.

Thanks for the info.

Are you still doing that Kayak thing?
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

really didn't want to say due to the negativity I went threw last time lol, but yes made several trips last year looking forward to this year I made some upgrades on the kayaks for comfort ready to try them out.

really didn't want to say due to the negativity I went threw last time lol, but yes made several trips last year looking forward to this year I made some upgrades on the kayaks for comfort ready to try them out.
    You obviously survived so you won that argument. Last year I was more concerned about the water temps if something was to happen to you and/or your friend as survival is really short lived if in that cold water. How some people behave while on the water, even if you do know what you are doing those type people can and do cause unnecessary safety problems to occur with their negligent boating.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Planning a trip to Kelley's mid-April. Does water temp make a huge difference on whether I should be running cranks vs harnesses mid-April around Kelley's?

You should check out the Buckeye Kayak trail, I believe they have a facebook page, but quite a few of them get out into Erie in early spring and do well for walleye. Those guys come prepared though, I believe some of them have more money in their outfits then most of the boats out there. A good group of people to learn from, they normally keep it close to shore and avoid the big traffic days, during the summer the Harbors are very popular for fishing as well. I think last year they had a tournament at Middle bass that was a good time, everybody took the ferry out and fished around the island all weekend, this was in the summer though.

Once the water temperature reaches 50 degrees worm harnesses can start to out produce crankbaits. I'll generally start running harnesses along with my crankbaits when the water temperature reaches 45 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by ErieEye View Post
    Once the water temperature reaches 50 degrees worm harnesses can start to out produce crankbaits. I'll generally start running harnesses along with my crankbaits when the water temperature reaches 45 degrees.
    Is there a point where crankbaits are no longer a good idea or will they still produce even if harnesses are preferred? Do you still run some crankbaits when trying to get on fish or does the 50 degree mark significantly decrease their effectiveness?