Newcomer Newcomer Newcomer Newcomer

Thread: Newcomer

Default Newcomer

So, I am a newcomer to this Forum. Recently retired and bought my dream boat a Lund 1850 Impact. Any concerns that this boat isn't big enough for Lake Erie??

I am in Cincinnati but really want to spend some time in Western Lake Erie and need some guidance on where to and how. I am set up with dipsy divers and Cannon Magnum 10STX downriggers. Not sure where to launch, where to fish. I have crawler harnesses and a large assorment of stick baits. Heard a lot about bandits but have no idea what they are. any general guidance and help would be much appreciated.

Thoughts on going with a reputable captain the 1st couple of times to get some 1st hand experience from someone who does it for a living? Recommendations for a captain or charter??

Capt Juls is a great hands on with the small offshore charter. also, eyehunter and eyecatcher are a great big board charter. You cant go wrong taking a trip or two and watching, learning, asking Q's about what your about to do on your venture. You can learn a lot in a little time if shown the proper way to start with. Also, google Bandit, it is a crankbait with loud rattles, works good. Also harness time is here, a million different patterns to choose from or make your own. Nothing like watching your harness with a fish on the end !! As far as your boat, pick your days and it will be fine !!! Mike

I would have to second the motion on Capt Juls, a great contributor on this forum but so are many others. I would recommend a couple different charters to get different points of view. Lund makes a great boat, just choose your days carefully and look at multiple weather forecasts from different sources. Lake Erie wind and wave forecasts have seemed to be not as accurate as they once were, I can't tell you how many times per season the wave forecast was wrong and generally they error on the bad side. I do more perch fishing than walleye fishing just a preference at the dinner table but do some walleye chasing in the early season then switch to perch when the summer heat picks up, less work more relaxing for me. I just retired this year myself and would like to get out more during the week but everyone else is working...go figure. Oh....welcome aboard !!

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by airshot View Post
    I would have to second the motion on Capt Juls, a great contributor on this forum but so are many others. I would recommend a couple different charters to get different points of view. Lund makes a great boat, just choose your days carefully and look at multiple weather forecasts from different sources. Lake Erie wind and wave forecasts have seemed to be not as accurate as they once were, I can't tell you how many times per season the wave forecast was wrong and generally they error on the bad side. I do more perch fishing than walleye fishing just a preference at the dinner table but do some walleye chasing in the early season then switch to perch when the summer heat picks up, less work more relaxing for me. I just retired this year myself and would like to get out more during the week but everyone else is working...go figure. Oh....welcome aboard !!
    Any thoughts on dipsy divers vs. downriggers for walleyes? Where are the best perch fishing areas and what baits do you use for perch?

I personally never use or see the need to use a downrigger fishing the west end of the lake for eyes. It pretty shallow so I don't get it personally. From what I can tell nearly everyone either fishes the following: Big planer boards with either body baits or jet divers with spoons or harnesses, offshore planer boards (small inline boards) with the same things attached, or dipsys with spoons or harnesses on them. Any dipsy, jet or body bait you can get will get down to the bottom anyhow. For perch, can't get simpler than a crappie rig and a sinker with minnows... Make sure you get lake shiners! Perch spreaders are also good to use heck even an single sinker with a hook and minnow will work. I make my own rigs and have great success with them.

Flat lines, large boards and the inline boards. Seems everyone forgets about the Church inline boards. Both the Offshore and the Church inline boards are very good. I prefer the Church boards simply because they will pull a heavier load without as much lagging behind the boat as the Off Shore boards with heavier loads. With the Jet divers in either 30 or 40 the Off Shore Boards perform well but when using the Tru-trip divers they do not perform as well with the Tru-trip 40 divers. The 30 Tru-trip divers work well with the Off Shore Boards. Tru-trip divers dive deeper sooner than the Jet Divers do and they also pull harder. Both divers are very much alike in looks but the jets have a shallower dive curve.

I would start with a couple of inline boards , either Church or Off Shore and your dipsy rods and go from there. If you like the inlines then you can add more at a later time and would not have a small fortune tied up in equipment(big boards) that you may not like. It is usually easier to sell the small boards at much less of a loss than a big board setup.

With the size of your boat I would recommend that you take a charter or at the very least fish with someone who uses the big boards. The reason is that they need a different type of rigging than an inline board and require a little more space to set up and use efficiently. The big boards work better with 3 or more on board fishing(6 lines). The little boards can be maintained for just 2 people(4 lines) with just one person in the cockpit and one at the helm.

The perch rigs described are perfect, I would use a #4 or smaller Aberdeen(fine wire) rather than a bait holder in the same size hook I would also recommend that you spool your perch rods with a good braided line. It makes feeling them so much easier than mono line and you do not have to set the hook near as hard since there is little if any stretch in the braided lines. Once you get the feel of the braided line you can almost tell if you have lost your bait(shiner) just by the feel when lifting the rig off of the bottom.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-17-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Mdog, you now have a lot to think about so all I want to say is Welcome Aboard.

Gene

I am sure you can get better info from the more experienced than from a part timer like me but here goes. I used to have downriggers but seemed like to much work and did not produce that well. Most use jet divers but I like Dipsy divers, for me their are easier to use and adjust. I only run 4 rods and the dipsy's work well for me. Tried the planner board thing but again seems like to much work for me as I get onto perch to soon to make the time and trouble worthwhile. As far as perch hotspots you have to watch as they can be anywhere, I have caught them all over the western basin on any given day. Normally not in the same spot as the day before so searching is the key. I just enjoy being on the water whether I am catching or not so simpler is better for me and we prefer the perch, not that walleye is bad hell no we eat as many as we can, just prefer the perch.