Walleye and Perch Help, please Walleye and Perch Help, please Walleye and Perch Help, please Walleye and Perch Help, please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Recommend Recommend:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuclan View Post
    Thanks Captain Tacky! I really appreciate the help. Do most perch fishermen use smaller minnows for bait, like the size you would use for crappies, or do they use larger minnows like the those that are used for springtime walleye jigging? I've noticed conversations on-line about the different types of minnows that are found in the baitshops around Erie, and I want to make sure we don't buy the wrong kind. Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it very much.
    Phil
    Shiners are the best, call around or ask who has them when you are here.

If not available drive to Summit Street just over the line in Michigan to fishermans cove he gets them from a different source from Lake St. Clair almost always has them, if you dont have shiners honestly it is a waste to even go out although some will tell you they catch well on Goldies and other type bait I have been fishing lake Erie 50 YEARS and assure you there is a difference.

I always freeze my left over shiners put them through a strainer and put in baggies with salt. they work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Veteran.. I would be honored to take you and son out on me looks like at this point I can go Monday Aug 8. , I have a 25 ' Grady White walk around . P.M. me if interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Captain Tacky,
    Thanks for the kind words and offer. I may just take you up on that offer. I am bringing my boat, which is a nearly 20 ft. long Nitro 290 Sport w/200 Verado, and it's a good boat in wind/waves, but I'd much rather be in your Grady White if it's breezy or high waves. Grady White's are awesome boats for sure. I will PM you for details.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Captain Tacky,
    I have printed off a document with all of the bait shops and addresses listed, along with phone numbers, so I will start calling around to see about finding some shiners. Thanks again for your help. You've been gracious and very helpful, and I really do appreciate that.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the help, Mark. I have some crappie rigs we used at Kentucky lake that have an egg shaped sinker with a couple of hooks above the sinker. I will probably get some spreaders, as it sounds like those are a pretty popular option. I will do my homework to find emerald shiners if possible. Does anyone do any good on the regular shiners that most people use for crappies? Those shiners are usually about 2 inches long but don't have the silvery sides like the emerald shiners. You can usually find those in bait shops around the area I am staying in Angola, Indiana. Thanks again for your help.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, M.A.D. Eyes. I am leaning towards using Mazuriks right now. I will post my results when I get back from fishing. Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate everyone who has offered help. You don't always find people who are willing to help in today's society, so this has been very refreshing, to say the least.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the recommendation, my fellow veteran. I suspect that if I can find some emerald shiners, they will be larger than what I consider a crappie minnow, which is about 2 inches long, so if I get the large shiners, I will cut them in half. Do the perch eat both sections of the minnow, or do they prefer the head and front part of the body? I perch fish in South Dakota, through the ice, and the perch there usually will not eat the tail section. Thanks again for your help.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I have not noticed a difference.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Perch

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    I have not noticed a difference.
    Perch are nosey....

That's what a Head Boat Captain told me. And in that light I will try several ways to attract them. At times I'll fish 2 poles, one with a spreader without bling and the other will have a vertical set up with snelled hooks, Eagle Claw, style 121, size 2 or 4, about 12 inches apart. (When I'm on a school there is only time for one pole, however). And yes you do want Emerald Shiners, so don't let the Bait shop try to sell you "flatheads" or "goldies". Some might tell you there's no difference....HA. Some try to sell you a mixture, be careful. If a couple of goldies are in a scoop OK, but if only half are Emeralds, walk away. (That's why it's always best to call first). Again, go back a few weeks and read about using the belly meat from white perch, a real money saver.

If I have large minnows I'll cut them in half for the scent or leave them whole for the "action"....remember, Perch are nosey. And as BG said there is no noticeable difference between heads and tails. I might change the plain spreader to one with some bling to help attract them, doesn't always work but then you never know? Some people use a device that rattles and clangs under water, but I've never tried that. Some will pull up and reset the anchor to attract them, seems that when you stir up the bottom a little it might release something for the fish to eat. Even starting the engine after a long delay can turn them on, not always though. I know one guy who puts down a chum bag with cat food and vegetable oil in it. (there's a joke in here about catfish, but I can't recall it).

The Captain also used a spreader with longer lines that ran out about 16 inches from the end of the spreader to the hook. He had a better "feel" when the Perch hit. I too have used that method but the only drawback is that it can tangle up more easily; give and take. Not recommended for rougher seas. And last, when I feel a fish is on, I'll wait a few seconds, 10 to 20 or so, to see if another perch might try to hit the other bait. About half the time it works so don't be in a rush to reel in the first one. And yes it might spit the hook while you're waiting but I figure he was hungry when he got here and he'll still be hungry when he comes back!

If you're interested in rod building or other fishing supplies call or visit Jann's Netcraft.com in Maumee, OH.

Post Thanks / Like

Add a third hook where you put the sinner. Half your fish will come on the bottom hook. It's always worked well for me