Western basin trawl survey Western basin trawl survey Western basin trawl survey Western basin trawl survey

Default Western basin trawl survey

Hey everyone.....I saw the ODNR posted the trawl results for 2014 - the Walleye is the 10th best hatch since 1992 and the perch results ranked 4th best since 1992.

Sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Hey everyone.....I saw the ODNR posted the trawl results for 2014 - the Walleye is the 10th best hatch since 1992 and the perch results ranked 4th best since 1992.

Sounds good to me!
    According to Ohio Sea Grant the Ontario numbers are considerably higher than would be normally anticipated! So high that they are higher than the numbers found in Ohio water surveys. Here is a quote from the Ohio Sea Grant by Tony Gabriel and is contained in the link I have posted at the bottom of my reply the quote is located in the 11th reply to the thread in the provided link. It seems that the anticipated behavior of the YOY walleyes may be changing or has already changed and they are frequenting areas not normally surveyed.

"There's also a possibility that young of year Walleye aren't frequenting the same areas as consistently as in the past. From what I hear, this was the case this past year. Usually Ohio's numbers are higher than Ontario's because the young of years hang out on our side more often. This years data suggests that a higher percentage of them were in Ontario waters."
    UNQUOTE

This is a very good thing as the population of YOY walleyes has obviously dispersed over a larger area and that makes it more unlikely that a catastrophic event would wipe out almost the entire 2014 YOY recruitment into the fishery.

Lots of good information in the thread contained in this link, with the Quote contained in the 11th reply. You also must be a member and logged in to view the pdf files that are alluded to in this thread.

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1553.0.html
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip